The Health Department wants you to rethink your drink this summer
Participate in the campaign kickoff today at the IDS Center Crystal Court
To get people to choose healthier beverages instead of sugary drinks, the Minneapolis Health Department has launched a campaign called ReTHINK Your Drink, Every Sip Counts. The campaign aims to help people understand the significant impact beverages have in their diets and the positive or negative ways beverages affect their minds and bodies. Experts have identified sugary drinks as the single largest contributor of calories and added sugars to the U.S. diet.
At City meetings and community events throughout the summer, Health Department staff will educate employees and residents about the health effects of frequent sugary drink consumption and promote healthier options, such as Minneapolis tap water. The campaign kicks off today at 11:30 a.m. at the IDS Center Crystal Court. During the kickoff event, employees can talk to Health Department staff about sugary drinks, see how much sugar is in some popular drinks and also taste test healthier options.
Earn 25 points at a health and wellness class
City employees can earn 25 points in the employee wellness program for attending a health and wellness class about sugary drinks and healthier beverages.
Class: ReThink Your Drink – Every Sip Counts
- Noon-1 p.m., Thursday, July 23, at the Currie Conference Center.
- Noon-1 p.m., Tuesday, Aug. 18, in Room 319 at City Hall.
When you earn 300 points in the employee wellness program through My Health Rewards by Medica by Aug. 31, 2015, you also earn the discounted wellness rate on your 2016 health insurance premiums. (In 2015, savings on the insurance premiums are about $400 a year for a single person and $1,200 a year for a family.) You will also receive a $20 gift card for every 100 points you earn in the program up to a maximum of $100 for 600 points. (Note: There is no gift card at the 300-point level because that is the level for a discounted rate on your health insurance premiums in 2016.) You have until Dec. 31 to earn the gift cards.
How to enroll in a health and wellness class
- Log into HRIS.
- Click “Learning and Development” (left side of screen).
- Click “Search Catalog” and type the course title (Rethink your drink).
- Click the course title then “View Details” to check for available seats.
- Click “Enroll” then “Submit Enrollment.”
To self-report your attendance
- Log in to www.mymedica.com.
- Click on the “Health and Wellness” tab.
- Go to the “Rewards” page.
- Click on “Attend a City of Minneapolis-sponsored wellness class” and then the “Earn” button.
- Enter the name of the class and the date attended.
Published Jul 1, 2015