It’s time to document your accomplishments, plan future work
It’s time to recognize the good work you’ve done with the City in 2015 and plan your work for 2016. While performance management happens all year long with regular conversations you should initiate with your supervisor, now is the time to formally document that work and look forward.
All employees in departments using PerformMinneapolis should complete the recognition and planning phases of the performance management system between November and February. Recognize your achievements by summarizing your accomplishments with a self-appraisal, meeting with your supervisor for a performance appraisal, and getting recognition from your supervisor for your accomplishments. The planning phase involves working with your supervisor to plan your work for the year ahead and set work expectations. Here’s a recommended schedule for your PerformMinneapolis activities:
- November: You complete your self-appraisal.
- December-February: You and your supervisor participate in your performance appraisal.
- December-February: You set your work expectations for 2016.
You must complete all three activities in that order in Halogen by Feb. 28, 2016.
What’s in it for you?
PerformMinneapolis helps you:
- Enhance your professional relationship with your supervisor.
- Understand what’s expected of you at work.
- Understand how your work matters and connects to City goals.
- Identify the resources you need to succeed.
- Measure your performance against clear standards.
- Find a voice in your performance review.
- Get meaningful feedback and recognition.
- Get opportunities to develop and grow.
Your self-appraisal includes five questions designed specifically to help you grow as an employee and to stimulate dialogue with your supervisor about how to achieve the growth and development you seek.
How to complete your self-appraisal
There are a number of tools available to help you successfully complete your self-appraisal.
- Take the 30-minute online training class that walks you through the self-appraisal process (turn your audio on and print your Job Success Factors Rating Guide because you’ll need it for an exercise during the training).
- Use the employee performance appraisal checklist.
- Review the self-appraisal tips and deadlines.
- Read the guide on how to complete the self-appraisal form in Halogen.
To complete your self-appraisal in Halogen:
- Log in to Halogen using your six-digit employee ID number and the password you created. (Note: The URL for Halogen, the online tool for PerformMinneapolis, recently changed. Most of the links on CityTalk and the public website have been updated. Please update any bookmarks you set for Halogen to https://global.hgncloud.com/minneapolis/welcome.jsp.)
- Let your supervisor know when you have completed your self-appraisal so he or she knows it's available in Halogen.
Required training for supervisors
All supervisors must take a two-hour class to learn the new performance appraisal process. If you supervise any employees, you are required to sign up for one of these classes in COMET:
- 1-3 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 10
- 9-11 a.m., Tuesday, Jan. 12
- 1-3 p.m., Thursday, Jan. 21
- 9-11 a.m., Tuesday, Jan. 26.
Not using PerformMinneapolis yet?
If your department has not officially adopted the PerformMinneapolis model and you are not yet using the Halogen software, following these performance management steps is still good practice. Plus it’s a great opportunity to talk with your supervisor about your career growth and development.
Please work with your supervisor to learn about performance management in your area and follow your department’s procedures.
Email [email protected] if you have questions.
Published Oct 20, 2015