Prevent a freeze on your health care account after year-end

Your WageWorks health care card allows you to pay for eligible health care expenses through a debit card that is tied to the money in your health care accounts (your flexible spending account and your health reimbursement arrangement [HRA/VEBA]). As in previous years, be careful when using your WageWorks health care card after year-end to avoid a freeze on your account.

Your WageWorks health care card can only pay for expenses incurred in the same calendar year as the payment. That means you cannot use the WageWorks health care card in 2016 to pay for a 2015 expense. You can pay for the expense out of pocket and request reimbursement from WageWorks, or you  can request WageWorks to pay the provider directly for the expense:

Even if the 2015 expense is eligible and you have a receipt, if you pay for it with your card in 2016, a hold will be placed on your account. WageWorks will deduct the amount of the transaction from any future claim you submit or you will need to submit repayment to WageWorks.  For more information on how the health care card works and to read the answers to frequently asked questions, visit the WageWorks website.

Published Dec 15, 2015



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo