Civil Rights Director Velma Korbel to receive Distinguished Service Award at Martin Luther King Jr. Day event
Civil Rights Director Velma Korbel will receive a Distinguished Service Award from “Governor Dayton’s Council on the Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday” at its 30th anniversary celebration Monday, Jan. 18. The Martin Luther King Jr. Day event honors the work and legacy of Dr. King and features performances, a youth rally and a march.
Other award winners
- The Honorable Michael J. Davis, Lifetime Achievement Award.
- The Honorable Gail Chang Bohr, Distinguished Service Award.
- Jill R. Gaulding, Distinguished Service Award.
- Emilia Gonzalez Avalos, Distinguished Service Award.
- Nekima Levy-Pounds, Distinguished Service Award.
- Colleen Wieck, Distinguished Service Award.
Schedule of events
- 9 a.m.: Youth rally at Ordway Concert Hall, 345 Washington St., Saint Paul.
- 10:15 a.m.: March reenactment begins at the main entrance of the Ordway Center for the Performing Arts.
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m.: Celebration program.
- Bomba Umoya.
- El Arco Iris.
Free transit passes will be available to use from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday, Jan. 18, courtesy of Metro Transit. Get your pass to print here, or pick one up at:
- Office of the Governor, Saint Paul.
- Hallie Q. Brown Community Center, Saint Paul.
- Minneapolis Urban League, Plymouth Avenue.
- Sabathani Community Center, Minneapolis.
Parking will be available for $3 per vehicle at the Saint Paul College Ramp, 235 Marshall Ave.
Published Jan 13, 2016