Support organics recycling: Buy certified compostable foodservice items; attend an information session April 26

Organics recycling is now available in City Hall, the Public Service Center and the City of Lakes Building; employees providing food and beverages in these buildings can support the City’s organics recycling efforts by purchasing certified compostable foodservice items.

Certified compostable cups, plates, bowls and silverware include the BPI or Cedar Grove logos:


Decorative paper plates, paper coated with foil, plastic (including Styrofoam and plastic-coated items) and other products (such as plastic silverware and coffee cups) without a compostable certification are not accepted.

From dishes to dirt

Learn more about buying certified compostable foodservice items at an upcoming information session 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 26, in the City Hall Rotunda. The event “From dishes to dirt: How to buy compostable foodservice items for your office” will include:

  • Free product samples.
  • Pricing information.
  • Ordering instructions.
  • General information about the new organics recycling program.

The event is supported by Solid Waste and Recycling, Property Services, Purchasing, the Municipal Building Commission and the Sustainability Office.

Why buy certified compostable?

By purchasing certified compostable cups, plates and silverware, you can reduce waste going to landfills and incinerators. Compostable foodservice items also eliminate the use of petroleum-based products, which are associated with negative environmental and health impacts. 

Learn more

For more information about how to purchase certified compostable food service items, read the compostable foodware section on CityTalk’s Environmentally Responsible Purchasing page.

Green to Go

Certified compostable foodservice items comply with the City’s Green to Go Ordinance, which requires businesses preparing food and beverages for immediate consumption and to-go use be placed in environmentally acceptable packaging. Environmentally acceptable packaging is reusable, recyclable or compostable. Please contact 311 regarding any businesses distributing Styrofoam to-go containers.

Published Apr 5, 2016



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo