Take steps to better health, win prizes with the Step To It Challenge
Take the first step toward better health by registering now for the Hennepin County Step To It Challenge May 1-28. Participate in this four-week physical activity campaign designed to help us all get walking more each day after winter. Track your steps for the challenge with a discounted Garmin activity tracker .
Walking more for the challenge gives you all of the benefits of regular exercise, including more energy, less stress and lower risks of heart disease, diabetes and cancer. Plus you’ll be eligible to earn prizes. Read the May 4 edition of Minneapolis Matters to learn about the prizes for the City’s worksite.
Every step counts
The Step To It Challenge is a friendly competition to see which participating worksite or community in Hennepin County is the most active. You can help City of Minneapolis employees earn some bragging rights.
Worksites in Hennepin County compete against each other May 1-28 for the title of most active and engaged worksite. All of your tracked steps will count toward the City of Minneapolis’ worksite step totals.
You can also pick any participating community in Hennepin County to walk for (even if you don’t live in it). All of your steps will count toward that community’s totals in the competition for the most active community award. In addition, each community will award its top stepper below age 65 and its top stepper age 65 or older with a pair of Minnesota Twins tickets. The top steppers will be recognized on the field at the Twins game. Participants from each community who log their steps daily will have another chance to win Minnesota Twins tickets through a random drawing.
Throughout the challenge, Hennepin County staff will keep you informed about how many steps participating organizations are logging so you’ll know how the competition is stacking up. At the end of the challenge, Hennepin County staff will tally results and award prizes.
Sign up today
- Register for the Step To It Challenge, then join the City of Minneapolis worksite by clicking “Join Groups” in the menu on the left of your account page. Find “City of Minneapolis Employees” and click “Join.” You will become an active member of the City worksite once Human Resources accepts your request.
- Choose a community from the drop-down menu as the “Community to Walk For.” Note for Minneapolis residents: Minneapolis is not a listed community, but you can choose “Non Participating Community” or you can walk for another community.
- Record your steps daily or weekly on your Step To It Challenge account May 1-28.
- Accumulate steps for other physical activities you do. This step conversion chart makes it easy to convert activities such as running, cycling or team sports into steps. Don’t forget to log those steps.
- Remember to self-report your walking and any other physical activity in the “Track” section of your My Health Rewards by Medica program to earn points. When you earn 300 points toward your My Health Rewards by Medica program by Aug. 31, you’ll get a discount on your 2017 health insurance premiums. (In 2016, savings averaged $400 a year for a single person and $1,200 a year for a family.)
Contact Amy Friedman by email or at 673-2592.
Published Apr 19, 2016