City seeks election judges  

The City Clerk’s Office is gearing up for the 2016 election, and that means they need election judges. These paid positions offer an opportunity to provide an important service to our community and learn about the election process.

Election judges serve as the officials in local polling places on Election Day, opening and closing the polls, registering and signing in voters, distributing and collecting ballots, operating voting equipment, recording and certifying vote totals, and ensuring voters’ rights are protected. The City needs election judges to work at polling places during the primary Tuesday, Aug. 9, and the general election Tuesday, Nov. 8, or on both days.

City employees are encouraged to work part-time or full-time shifts as election judges. You must request time off with your supervisor by filling out the “Request for Time off Work to Serve as an Election Judge” form, which you can also find on the on CityTalk. You can:

Read frequently asked questions for City employees who want to serve as election judges.

Other opportunities to help

City employees are also encouraged to work other positions that offer different hours on Election Day. For example, absentee ballot runners travel to precincts to confirm that absentee voters are marked appropriately on the voting rosters; the election night drop-off support position checks in election materials after the polls close.

Spread the word

 If you know of a qualified person seeking work, please let that person know about the election judge opportunity. Requirements for election judges:

The City Clerk’s Office especially needs judges who are fluent in a second language, including Spanish, Somali, Hmong, Vietnamese, Oromo, Lao, Russian or American Sign Language.

Election judges can still vote, either during voting hours they’re not serving or ahead of time by absentee ballot.

More information

For more information about becoming an election judge, visit the City’s election website, read the frequently asked questions or email [email protected].

Published May 31, 2016



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo