Third Avenue reconstruction project begins June 3
Weather permitting, the City will begin the redesign of Third Avenue South in downtown Minneapolis Friday, June 3. The project, which extends from 16th Street East to First Street South, should be mostly completed by the end of the year.
Starting Friday, crews will remove the median between 16th Street and 12th Street, which will then be paved. Crews will continue to move north on Third Avenue removing the median and paving throughout the 2016 construction season. All lanes will reopen to traffic by the end of the construction season, with some final work taking place in 2017.
The project will take place in two phases:
- Phase 1: 16th Street East to Seventh Street South – Work begins June 3 and is expected to be back to two lanes in each direction by the end of June.
- Phase 2: Seventh Street South to First Street South – Work is scheduled to begin in July and finish by the end of construction season.
Drivers should follow signed detours and expect changing detours as the project moves north on Third Avenue.
Highlights of the redesign
The completed project will:
- Install a protected bicycle lane, creating a north-south bicycle connection through Downtown.
- Modify the existing vehicle traffic lanes and turn lanes.
- Provide new greenery and an improved streetscape.
The City is coordinating with numerous development and street construction projects in the downtown area to minimize traffic backups as much as possible.
For additional information, visit the project website.
Published Jun 1, 2016