Save more than $35 on a Garmin activity tracker, fewer than 350 credits remain
City employees save twice on Garmin activity trackers thanks to the City’s Wellness Committee arranging for employee discounts on Garmin devices plus $35 in credits from Medica to fund wellness-oriented activities. The $35 credits from Medica are first-come, first-served, so act fast to get your credit. More than half have already been used.
The discounted Garmin activity trackers are available to all employees and their family members. The $35 credit from Medica is available only to employees who are eligible to receive City benefits. You can get a device for as little as $15 if you are eligible for both the discount and credit.
Why buy a fitness tracker?
You can use a Garmin activity tracker to earn points in the employee wellness program. Get points automatically by syncing an activity tracker to upload your exercise to mymedica.com. Every day you track more than 3,000 steps, you’ll earn a point in the employee wellness program. For every 100 points you earn, you receive a $20 gift card (up to $100). When you earn 300 points, you’ll get a discount on your 2017 health insurance premiums. (In 2016, savings on the insurance premiums are about $400 a year for a single person and $1,200 a year for a family.)
Inactivity can cause a number of health issues, including weight gain and chronic and acute illness, and personal problems such as lower productivity at work and in daily life. Activity can prevent and may even reverse many of these issues. Walking, running and moving your body every day boosts a person’s overall health.
Fitness trackers can help motivate you to be active. Depending on the device, wearers can track steps, calories, distance travelled, caloric intake, and even heart rate and sleep. Some even offer GPS tracking to map your distance and pace. Many users find the devices help them set and make progress on goals, hold them accountable, and build a healthy support network.
Order a Garmin, get your $35 credit from Medica
- Visit the Wellness Codes website.
- Choose from eight Garmin devices, and click “Add to cart.” (Update: You may have issues ordering an activity tracker if you use an older version of Internet Explorer as your Web browser. Try using Internet Explorer 11, Chrome or another Web browser to avoid any order issues.)
- In the box labeled “Vouchers,” enter the code for your credit from Medica (type “MN” followed by your six-digit employee ID number. For example, MN11111. If your employee ID number starts with zeros, you must include the zeros.)
- Enter your payment information to pay the remaining cost of the device.
Your Garmin will be shipped to your home.
Start earning points right away in the employee wellness program
Once you receive your activity tracker, sync it to your account at mymedica.com:
- Visit www.mymedica.com using Firefox as your web browser if you’re using a City computer or using any internet browser on a smartphone, tablet or personal computer.
- Click “Health & Wellness.”
- Click on your name in the upper right corner then click “Sync Options” from the drop-down menu.
- Click “Add an Account” and select “Garmin.”
- Follow the instructions to sync your device.
Published Jun 14, 2016