2017 budget process is underway
Mayor Betsy Hodges presented her 2017 recommended budget to the City Council Aug. 10. Council members will consider the budget from now through early December with final approval of the 2017 budget scheduled for Wednesday, Dec. 7.
You can watch the mayor’s budget address and upcoming budget hearings on Minneapolis 79 (Comcast channel 79, CenturyLink channel 14), or on a smartphone, tablet or computer by visiting the City’s website at www.minneapolismn.gov/tv/79. Read the full text of the speech here.
The mayor’s proposed budget includes:
- $1,305,000 for 15 new sworn police officers, which includes 12 for community policing and three for a police/mental health co-responder pilot program.
- Nearly $1 million for community-based strategies to improve public safety, including $500,000 for community-driven public safety strategies in two locations with high levels of youth violence.
- More than $1 million annually for a new, ongoing community service officer class to build more capacity for a proven, effective pathway into the police department for people of color.
- $400,000 for five additional full-time sworn firefighters, which will allow the Minneapolis Fire Department to better serve residents and reduce overtime dollars.
- A total of $14.5 million in affordable housing development, including a naturally occurring affordable housing strategy, the Family Housing Initiative, and additions to the Affordable Housing Trust Fund.
The City has tentatively scheduled two public comment hearings on the proposed 2017 property tax levy and budget:
- 6:05 p.m., Wednesday, Nov. 30
Room 317, City Hall
- 6:05 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 7
Room 317, City Hall
Below are additional key dates in the 2017 budget process. Dates and times are tentative and subject to change.
- 1:30 p.m., Aug. 29: Ways & Means budget overview presentation.
- 5:05 p.m., Sept. 14: Board of Estimate and Taxation meeting and public hearing on maximum property tax levies and the mayor’s budget.
- Sept. 22-Nov. 17: Ways and Means presentations and consideration of City departmental budgets hearings (tentative dates can be found at www.minneapolismn.gov/finance/budget).
- 9:30 a.m.-noon and 1-4 p.m., Dec. 2: Ways and Means Budget Subcommittee budget markup.
- 6:05 p.m., Dec. 7: City Council final vote on budget after the public hearing.
Published Aug 23, 2016