It’s time to recognize your accomplishments, plan future work
It’s time to recognize the good work you’ve done with the City in 2016 and plan your work for 2017. While performance management happens all year long with regular conversations you should initiate with your supervisor, now is the time to formally document your efforts and look forward.
Employees using PerformMinneapolis should complete the recognition and planning phases of the performance management system between November and February. The recognition phase involves summarizing your accomplishments with a self-appraisal and meeting with your supervisor for a performance appraisal. The planning phase involves working with your supervisor to plan your work for the year ahead and set work expectations. Here’s a recommended schedule for your PerformMinneapolis activities:
- November: Complete your self-appraisal.
- December-February: Meet with your supervisor for your performance appraisal.
- January-February: Set your work expectations for 2017.
You must complete all three activities in that order in Halogen by Feb. 28, 2017.
What’s in it for you?
PerformMinneapolis helps you:
- Enhance your professional relationship with your supervisor.
- Understand what’s expected of you at work.
- Understand how your work matters and connects to City goals.
- Identify the resources you need to succeed.
- Measure your performance against clear standards.
- Have a voice in your performance review.
- Get meaningful feedback and recognition.
- Get opportunities to develop and grow.
Your self-appraisal includes five questions designed specifically to help you grow as an employee and to stimulate dialogue with your supervisor about how to achieve the growth and development you seek.
What’s new this year?
The performance management process will be paperless this year. To complete your self-appraisal online in Halogen:
- Log in to Halogen using your six-digit employee ID number and the password you created.
- Let your supervisor know when you have completed your self-appraisal so he or she knows it's available in Halogen.
There will be a new job success factor – cultural sensitivity – added in the work expectation phase to be used in 2017.
Complete your self-appraisal
There are a number of tools available to help you successfully complete your self-appraisal.
- Take the 30-minute online training class that walks you through the self-appraisal process (turn your audio on and print your Job Success Factors Rating Guide because you’ll need it for an exercise during the training).
- Use the employee performance appraisal checklist.
- Review the self-appraisal tips and deadlines.
- Read the guide on how to complete the self-appraisal form in Halogen.
- Attend an open lab for hands-on support navigating Halogen.
Training for supervisors – Conducting Performance Appraisals
All supervisors must take a two-hour class to learn the new performance appraisal process. If you supervise any employees, you are required to sign up for one of these classes in COMET:
- 9-11 a.m., Thursday, Dec. 1.
- 9-11 a.m., Thursday, Jan. 12.
- 1-3 p.m., Tuesday, Jan. 24.
- 9-11 a.m., Thursday, Feb. 9.
Not using PerformMinneapolis yet?
Please work with your supervisor to learn about performance management in your area and follow your department’s procedures. Plus it’s a great opportunity to talk with your supervisor about your career growth and development.
Questions? Email Perform.Minneapolis@minneapolismn.gov if you have questions.
Email Perform.Minneapolis@minneapolismn.gov if you have questions.
Published Oct 18, 2016