Get weight loss support to help prevent diabetes and earn 300 points
Losing 4 to 7 percent of your body weight can cut your risk of developing Type 2 diabetes in half, and avoiding diabetes can add up to seven years to your life. But it can be hard to make the lifestyle changes necessary to keep Type 2 diabetes at bay. That’s why the City is offering a group meeting approach to losing weight that is proven to prevent or delay Type 2 diabetes.
The program includes:
- 16 weekly group meetings.
- Guidance and encouragement from a trained health coach.
- Support from other participants who share the same health goals.
- Resources to help you eat healthier, move more and manage stress.
- Tips to stay motivated and overcome challenges.
- Tools and accountability to help you achieve the program goals:
1. Lose 7 percent of your body weight (14 pounds for a person weighing 200 pounds).
2. Increase your physical activity to 150 minutes per week, which reduces your risk of developing Type 2 diabetes by more than half.
- Monthly follow-up meetings (after the initial 16 weeks) to help you maintain your lifestyle changes.
You’ll earn 300 points in the employee wellness program if you qualify for and complete the National Diabetes Prevention Program. (Program completion means attending at least 14 of the weekly meetings. If you are unable to attend a weekly meeting you may make it up by telephone two times during the program.)
Sign up – space is limited
Two National Diabetes Prevention Program sessions are available with a maximum of 15 participants per session. Sign up today to reserve your spot in a session by emailing [email protected]. You may also leave a message at 612-659-3257.
Public Service Center
250 S. Fourth St., Room 525
12:15-1 p.m. Tuesdays
Sixteen weekly sessions starting March 7
Currie Conference Center
1200 Currie Ave. N.
12:15-1 p.m. Thursdays
Sixteen weekly sessions starting March 16
Published Jan 12, 2017