New forms make it faster, easier to request capital assets, IT projects

Capital asset requests for 2018-2022 must be made by March 31

Two new forms on the IT service portal improve the process to request IT projects and to request capital assets through the budget process, making it faster and easier to get what you need. To access the new Capital Asset Request System (CARS) and IT project request forms, click the IT Service Desk icon on your desktop or find a link to the portal on the home page of CityTalk.

Capital asset requests

The Capital Asset Request System allows departments to submit budget requests for capital items that cost more than $5,000 such as technology systems, vehicles, construction equipment and other large-dollar items necessary to provide services. The system uses a five-year planning process for these long-term capital assets used by City departments.

There is a specific window of time to make capital requests each year for the following five-year CARS cycle. This year, capital requests for the years 2018-2022 must be submitted between March 7 and March 31.

The new CARS form improves how City employees make capital requests. It also changes some processes that users will need to learn before making their capital requests for the 2018 budget and beyond.  Training materials are posted on the Finance and Property Services page on CityTalk in the Budget Process section.  Contact the Budget Office at [email protected] with any questions or to get help reviewing and submitting requests.  

Learn more about CARS.

New IT project request form

Have an idea or need to start a project with IT? The new IT project request form speeds up the process for requesting IT services for your projects and ideas. You’ll need to include the purpose of your project or idea and answer a few quick questions including:

  • What is the problem or opportunity?
  • How will project outcomes improve productivity, performance or quality?
  • How many internal and external customers will be directly impacted?
  • Will the initiative impact existing or future statutory, regulatory, safety or audit requirements?

The form collects the information necessary for IT to review your request and involve the correct staff, saving time for the requestor and IT staff instead of going back and forth with questions.

Published Mar 8, 2017



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo