City seeks staff to serve as ambassadors and lead the charge on racial equity initiatives
Do you have what it takes to be a change agent? Are you passionate about equity? The City Coordinator’s Department is looking for staff interested in becoming enterprise equity coordinators. These coordinators will continue in their existing positions while partnering with the enterprise equity manager to lead racial equity initiatives across the City of Minneapolis. They will identify and tackle barriers to opportunity among our employees, constituents and community members.
Staff members can apply or be nominated by others for consideration. There will be a competitive application process, including recommendation by a selection committee, and ultimately the City Coordinator will appoint members of the team. The work will not exceed four hours per week. Approval for this time will be asked of department heads to ensure the ambassadors are fully supported. This team membership will be for one year.
A coordinator’s roles include:
- Advising the enterprise equity manager, Racial Equity Steering Committee and senior staff on issues related to equity.
- Implementing the Racial Equity Action Plan.
- Providing leadership on equity in their current work and current positions.
- Participating in enterprise-wide racial equity projects.
- Conducting racial equity training for City of Minneapolis staff members.
In addition to the desire to assist the City with equity, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Has the ability to influence others.
- Is passionate about equity.
- Is a critical thinker and problem solver.
- Is reliable and productive.
- Is a team player.
Team-balancing considerations include participation across:
- Tenure at the City of Minneapolis.
- Areas of focus.
- Team roles and personalities.
- Work locations.
Interested employees must complete and submit an application on the Equity and Inclusion SharePoint site by May 12.
More information about this program
Two informational conference calls have been set up to answer questions from employees and supervisors regarding this equity coordinator initiative. Please follow directions below to join in if you are interested, have an employee who is interested, or wish to nominate an employee or direct report for this opportunity.
- 11 a.m.-noon Monday, May 8
- 10-11 a.m. Tuesday, May 9
To call in on either date, dial 719-234-7800, enter PIN 6126732032 and host code 14705.
Published May 3, 2017