City wins wellness and environmental awards from Hennepin County
The City won a 2017 Wellness by Design award from Hennepin County for its efforts to make employee health a priority through creative and effective wellness initiatives. The City received the Wellness by Design Gold award, one of the top honors, as well as a “+Green” award designation for its commitment to minimizing the City’s impact on the environment.
Hennepin County’s Wellness by Design award program recognizes organizations that are making a difference in employees’ lives by creating a work culture and environment that support employee health. The award is given every other year and rates organizations in a variety of areas, such as policies, leadership support, programs and evaluation.
The awards recognize the City’s many wellness efforts during 2015-2016. Some highlights include:
- Implementing and subsidizing a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program for City employees that increased access to fresh produce.
- Developing a new mini-grant program for department wellness purchases to promote employee health and well-being.
- Updating and promoting health club discounts available to City employees.
- Updating the smoke-free environment policy to restrict the use of e-cigarettes and all other tobacco products to designated smoking areas.
- Working to increase access to lactation rooms in City buildings by developing an inventory and process for accessing the spaces.
- Coordinating three different sessions of a six-eight week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction program for City staff.
- Promoting Medica’s online wellness programs as a way to encourage employees to engage in and make improvements to our health.
The City received the “+Green” designation for its efforts to minimize our impact on the environment by demonstrating a commitment to initiatives such as recycling, reducing waste, environmentally friendly transportation and conserving energy.
Seventy-three organizations in Hennepin County received the 2017 Wellness by Design award. Thirty of the 73 Wellness by Design recipients received the +Green designation this year.
Published Jun 27, 2017