Tree debris pickup begins Wednesday, North Transfer Station accepting other debris

Public Works and Park Board crews will collect tree debris that can be brought to the boulevard beginning Wednesday, May 25 through June 10 for properties affected by the tornado in the city west of Interstate 94 and north of Highway 55 (Olson Memorial Highway). This service is for property owners clearing their property of tree debris after storm damage only—it is not for contractors doing work for property owners or for regular tree pruning. It is only for tree debris, not construction or other materials.

Here's how residents in the area can prepare downed trees and branches for collection:

North Transfer Station accepting debris

The North Transfer Station at 2710 Pacific Street will also begin accepting debris at noon on Wednesday, May 25 for those affected by the tornado. Concrete, sheetrock, wood and shingles will be accepted for Solid Waste & Recycling customers who reside in the following neighborhoods: Folwell, Hawthorne, Jordan, Lind-Bohanon, McKinley, Near North, Webber-Camden and Willard-Hay. The Transfer Station is open Monday-Saturday from 10 a.m.-7 p.m. (on Memorial Day, Monday, May 30, hours will 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.). A voucher is needed to bring debris to the North Transfer Station. To obtain a voucher, customers need to call 673-2917 or 311.  ONLY Voucher customers will be allowed to use the North Transfer Station. Solid Waste & Recycling customers outside of these neighborhoods affected by the storm should continue to use the South Transfer station voucher program.

Clearing other debris

If you have debris from a building, such as your home or business, contain the debris until you can properly dispose of it. Eliminate hazards, such projecting pieces, broken glass or anything overhead that has come loose. Protect debris from the wind and from anyone who may come along and disturb it. If you have concerns about asbestos in your building debris, contact the Minnesota Department of Health asbestos program at (651) 201-4620 or at [email protected].

Make sure your contractor or tree company is licensed

Minneapolis Regulatory Services officials are reminding property owners who experienced property damage from the storm to hire only licensed tree service companies and building contractors. The City and State make it easy for you to find out if a company has the proper licenses.

Tree contractors - It’s important to make sure the tree company you use is licensed, because unlicensed companies may not be insured for damage they might cause to your property, and their workers may not be properly trained to protect themselves and your property from damage. Here are some things residents should know when choosing a tree company:

Building contractors .

To confirm the license status of a licensee, or to file a complaint, please call 311 or the Business License Division at (612) 673-2080.

Resources for homeowners

If you have questions about your homeowner's insurance and needed rehab related to the storm damage, contact your insurance company or these local organizations:

  • Center for Energy & Environment, (612) 335-5884
  • Housing Resource Center North, (612) 588-3033
  • Neighborhood Housing Services of Minneapolis, (612) 521-3581

Published May 24, 2011



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo