What to expect on Volunteer Clean-Up Day and beyond

On Saturday, June 4, about 2,000 volunteers will lend a hand on the North Side to help clean up after last week’s tornado. Here’s what folks on the North Side should know about the work volunteers will be doing:

Where to take construction debris after the clean-up day
Through June 10, residents can drop off any construction and demolition debris from the tornado at the North Transfer Station at 2710 Pacific Street. It’s open Monday through Friday until June 10, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

A voucher is needed to bring debris to the North Transfer Station. To obtain a voucher, customers need to call (612) 673-2917 or 311. Only customers with vouchers will be able to use the North Transfer Station. The City has lifted its weight limit and increased the number of vouchers residents can get from six to 10 for people affected by the tornado.

Appliance disposal
Damaged appliances should not be taken to the North Transfer Station. Instead, The City of Minneapolis has a regular appliance collection. Just leave appliances where your recycling gets picked up.

Hazardous waste disposal

Hennepin County is collecting hazardous waste at North High (1500 James Ave. N., West Parking Lot) on June 4, until 1 p.m. If residents can’t make it to North High, household hazardous waste and other materials can be dropped off at one of Hennepin County’s drop-off facilities:

The City of Minneapolis and many of its partners are working together to get folks back in their homes, ensure their safety, and provide the assistance and resources they need to make it through this difficult time. Support from the community has made a huge difference—since the May 22 tornado, thousands of people have helped in many ways in the clean-up and recovery effort, helping people on the North Side get back on their feet.

For additional information about debris removal and recovery, visit Minneapolis Recovers or download this flyer (pdf).

Published Jun 3, 2011



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo