Neighborhood sweeps to pick up large tree debris removal ends June 10

Friday, June 10 is the last day that Public Works and Park Board crews will be in neighborhoods proactively removing large tree debris stacked on boulevards for pickup. However, folks who still have large tree debris on boulevards and in alleys after June 10 can call 311 (612-673-3000 if calling from a phone outside of Minneapolis) and crews will come out and pick it up. Note that if folks have already called to request that the City pick up tree debris from alleys, you do not need to call again as crews will be fulfilling those requests.

Park Board crews will continue removing stumps along the boulevards over the coming weeks. In addition, they will be returning to remove some boulevard trees that received significant damage in the storm and now pose safety concerns.

Property owners can also continue to use the City's regular yard waste services to get rid of small storm tree debris. These services include the collection of limbs that are less than 3 inches in diameter, are cut less than 3 feet long and are bundled with rope or twine. The bundles should not weigh more than 40 pounds.

The City is working with area neighborhood groups to organize "Clean Sweeps" specifically for the tornado recovery. Plans are still being made to schedule these neighborhood clean sweeps, but the first one could occur as early as June 18.

Folks who want to get rid of their construction debris in advance of an upcoming Clean Sweep can take their construction debris to the North Transfer Station at 2710 Pacific St. through June 10. After June 10 residents will have to use the South Transfer Station at 2850 28th Ave. S. The South Transfer Station is open Tuesday-Friday from 12:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. and Saturdays 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Folks will need a voucher to bring debris to both the North and South Transfer Stations. To obtain a voucher, customers need to call 673-2917 or 311. 

Make sure your contractor or tree company is licensed
Minneapolis Regulatory Services officials are reminding property owners who experienced property damage from the storm to hire only licensed tree service companies and building contractors. The City and State make it easy for you to find out if a company has the proper licenses.

Tree contractors - It’s important to make sure the tree company you use is licensed, because unlicensed companies may not be insured for damage they might cause to your property, and their workers may not be properly trained to protect themselves and your property from damage. Here are some things residents should know when choosing a tree company:

Minneasota-licensed Building Contractors

To confirm the license status of a licensee, or to file a complaint, please call 311 or the Business License Division at (612) 673-2080.

Resources for homeowners

If you have questions about your homeowner's insurance and needed rehab related to the storm damage, contact your insurance company or these local organizations:

Published Jun 9, 2011



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo