Building and home repairs

To repair tornado damage to your home or business, first contact your insurance company, file a claim and call a contractor.

1. Private insurance: What if my insurance doesn’t cover the cost of repairing tornado damage to my home or property?

You can negotiate with your insurance company about your claim. Homeowners and property owners affected by the tornado with questions about insurance claims, repair contracts, other real estate matters, or other legal issues can call Volunteer Lawyers Network at (612) 752-6677. Owners should identify themselves as affected by the tornado.

Residents with insurance issues can also contact the Minnesota Department of Commerce Consumer Resource Response Team. Call 651-296-2488 or visit

2. Other resources: What if I don’t have insurance or my insurance coverage isn’t enough to make repairs?

There are many resources that may be available to help you make repairs to your home.

Property owners who need additional financial assistance for home repair can contact this number to learn about available loans and grants:

Housing Resource Center – North, (612) 588-3033,

Always use a licensed contractor

Before hiring anyone to do work on your home or business, make sure they are alicensed contractor. The Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry has an online contractor license look-up tool at

Getting permits

Many repairs to storm-damaged homes or business require construction permits from the city. Staff from Minneapolis Development Review can assist property owners with submitting applications, getting them reviewed, and having permits issued for simple construction and repair-related projects. Permits are available by visiting the Minneapolis Development Review office, and some are also available online.

Get permits online

Many of the most commonly needed permits are available for licensed contractors to apply for online. Some of the permits that can be applied for online include basic plumbing, masonry work, re-roofing, stucco repair, window replacement, and many others. Online permits are limited to single- and two-family structures only.

Visit the Minneapolis Development Review office

Customers can visit the Minneapolis Development Review main office, located at 250 South 4 th Street – Room 300 in downtown Minneapolis, during regular business hours. Free parking (pdf) is available for customers. Many simple permits can be issued at the same time you apply, including permits for re-roofing, siding, replacing windows, some basic plumbing, and other repairs.

At Minneapolis Development Review, contractors and homeowners can submit applications, get them reviewed and have permits issued for construction and repair-related projects. Some projects don’t require a more in-depth plan review. These projects include:

- Roofing (repair/replacement, non-structural)

- Windows/doors (repair/replacement, same size)

- Siding (repair/replacement)

- Stucco/plaster (repair/replacement)

- Masonry/chimney (repair/replacement)

- Plumbing fixtures/water lines (replacement)

- Gas water heater (replacement only)

- Water meter (replacement/relocation of existing)

- Gas meter (replacement/relocation of existing)

- Gas appliances – Fireplace, stove, dryer (replacement/install)

Some projects require a more detailed plan review before permits are issued. These projects include:

- Detached garages

- Decks

- Porches

- Retaining walls over 4 feet tall (from bottom of footing)

- Other storm-related construction repair that may require structural engineering, including total roof replacement (such as trusses).

A (non-corporate) homeowner may obtain a permit for work on their own home. A licensed contractor must obtain a permit for work they are doing under a contract.

Many construction and repair projects will require a licensed contractor to ensure they are properly trained and carry the necessary insurance. A complete list of licensed contractors in Minneapolis is available. To confirm the license status of a City-licensed contractor, or to file a complaint, please call 311.

Assistance with Temporary Rental Licenses is also available.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is allowed to complete construction and repair work?

Who needs to apply for a permit?

Which projects do not require a permit?

Last updated Apr 10, 2012



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo