Consumer Tips

Always use a licensed contractor

Before hiring anyone to do work on your home or business, make sure they are a licensed contractor. The Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry has an online contractor license look-up tool.

Disposing of storm debris

Tree debris

If you have tree debris on your property from the North Side tornado, the City will pick it up provided it is moved to and stacked along boulevards for collection. Once this is done, call 311 to arrange a pickup time.

Branches and other small tree debris can be picked up by your regular yard waste collection service.

Construction and demolition debris

There have been a number of volunteer debris cleanups already, however, there is still work to be done. Additional Clean Sweep cleanups of North Side neighborhoods may still be scheduled this summer to collect debris from the storm. However, its the responsibility of the property owner to have construction debris removed from their property. Residents can drop off any construction and demolition debris from the tornado at the South Transfer Station. A voucher is needed to bring debris to the North Transfer Station. To obtain a voucher, customers should call 311 or (612) 673-2917.

Appliance disposal

Damaged appliances should not be taken to the South Transfer Station. Instead, The City of Minneapolis has a regular large item collection service that you can use.

Hazardous waste disposal

Household hazardous waste and other materials can be dropped off at one of Hennepin County Drop-off Facilities:

Electrical repair

Xcel Energy has restored power to the entire North Side. However, some homes do not have electricity because lines from utility poles to individual buildings may be down, or damage to buildings has prevented power connections from being made. Some property owners are unaware that it’s their responsibility to reconnect their homes to utility lines. The City has been working with Xcel and local electrical contractors to help get these lines connected. If your power has not been reconnected, you can call 311 for more information on how to get the work done and the resources available.

Other consumer resources:

Last updated Apr 9, 2012



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo