Legal Assistance

For Renters:

Legal Aid landlord/tenant law, emergency assistance and other public benefits, and school-related questions can call Legal Aid at 612-332-1441.  If Legal Aid cannot assist, they will refer tenants to Volunteer Lawyer Network, Conflict Resolution Center or other services. Additional information is available online at

HOMELine 612-728-5767. HOMELine does not have income limitations, so any tenant can call. More information, including a detailed renters’ resource sheet, is available online at

For Landlords and Homeowners:

Volunteer Lawyers Network (VLN) insurance claims, repair contracts, and other real estate matters or other legal issues can call VLN at 612-752-6677. Owners should identify themselves as affected by the tornado. VLN works with volunteers, so attorneys will not be available immediately to answer questions. However, the organization will move quickly to connect owners to attorneys as soon as possible.

Minnesota Department of Commerce: Residents with insurance issues can also contact the Minnesota Department of Commerce Consumer Resource Response Team. Call 651-296-2488.

Conflict Resolution Center (CRC): If the amount of coverage from an insurance company is not adequate, negotiating with the company is an option. CRC has mediators who will provide a structured process to resolve matters involving insurance claims or any other disputes between the insured and the insurance company. Mediation is quick, free and an effective way for the insured to work out a solution that will allow necessary repairs and rebuilding. Call 612-822-9883.

For All Residents:

Housing Court Project

If you think you have been the victim of a tornado-related scam:

Criminal investigations in Minneapolis are done by the Minneapolis Police Department. To make a report, contact the Police at 612-673-5704 (select prompt #3 or stay on the line for assistance).

Prosecutors want to help early in the process. Attorneys both in the Minneapolis City Attorney's Office and Hennepin County Attorney's Office are also available to help.

More information is available at

Last updated Sep 23, 2015



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo