Contact our Mounted Police Foundation to make a donation and find out more information if you don't have a facebook account.
The Minneapolis Mounted Police Unit is highly visible and very well received by the public. It was created in 1996 with four riders and three police horses. Today the unit has 12horses, mostly donated by private citizens. It is overseen by a downtown sector Lieutenant and one Mounted Patrol Sergeant. There are currently 23 sworn police officers who are fully certified riders.
The Mounted Police is a valuable asset to the community for several reasons, including the following:
- Crowd Control – The expertise of a mounted unit officer in crowd control is renowned. The officers are used extensively at concerts, parades, sporting events, demonstrations and other events that take place throughout the year. It has been estimated that one mounted officer on horseback has the effect of ten officers on foot.
- Crime Control – A mounted officer can be seen for blocks, presenting a greater crime deterrent; every mounted officer is 10 feet tall. Being on horseback enables a mounted officer to see at greater distances as well as over privacy fences and other tall barriers. Mounted officers are also able to ride on horseback into areas where a squad car cannot go.
- Search & Rescue – The officers and horses are trained for search and rescue. A mounted officer can carry ample supplies and remain searching for long periods of time.
- Community Policing – Horses dissolve barriers and increase personal contact between the public and officers. Seldom is public attention so magnetically drawn to police as it is to an officer on horseback.
"The Minneapolis Mounted Police Unit works efficiently and effectively in crowd control situations utilzing the size and ability of our horses along with impressive unit teamwork. Horses are great at building community relationships. Children and adults alike enjoy seeing our horses and riders. When Mounted Police patrol the city, our size and crisp formations not only help deter crime but the hosrse bring smiles to faces. The contact with our horses creates dialoue between the citizens and Minneapolis Police Officers. The Minneapolis Mounted Police Unit is proud to serve the community through police work on horseback!"
-Mounted Patrol Sergeant Molly Fischer
The unit currently assists with:
- Neighborhood/street patrol
- Crowd control after bar closings
- Special events
- Sporting events
- Planned and unplanned civil disturbances
- Various community picnics
- National Night Out
- Special park and neighborhood events
- Outbreaks of civil unrest
The Mounted Patrol is headquartered in the First Precinct, 19 North 4 th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55401, Sgt. Molly Fischer, (612) 673-3944. For additional information, please e-mail us at [email protected].
Last updated Mar 14, 2017