School Resource Officers: A partnership With Minneapolis Public Schools
The Minneapolis Police department, in collaboration with the Minneapolis Public School District, helps maintain safe welcoming environments where students can succeed.
What is a School Resource Officer?
Our School Resource Officers are licensed Minneapolis Police Officers who have been selected to work within the Minneapolis Public School District.
What does a School Resource Officer do?
- School Resource Officers develop problem-solving strategies with Minneapolis Public School staff & other partners that focus on diversion & decriminalization as an alternative to citations or arrests when resolving student related matters.
- They develop positive relationships with students, staff & parents through formal and informal interactions, educating, youth programs and mentoring.
- School Resource Officers act as liaisons between the school district, student families, our community, criminal justice partners and the Minneapolis Police Department.
- They work closely with the district’s Office of Emergency Management – Safety and Security to monitor and assess risks that could affect school operations.
Contact the Minneapolis Police Department’s School Resource Officer & Juvenile Outreach & Diversion Programs:
- School Resource Officer Supervisor: Sergeant Ryan McCann- [email protected]
- Juvenile Diversion Program Office: Sgt. Catherine Michal: [email protected]
- M.P.S. Office of Emergency Management: [email protected]
Last updated Aug 22, 2018