1-200 Definitions Used In The Manual
The following words and terms shall have the meanings assigned unless it is apparent from the context that they have a different meaning.
- AUTHORITY: Legal or rightful command or power.
- BOOKING: The processing of arrested persons.
- BUREAU: A major organizational component of the MPD comprised of precincts, units and divisions.
- BUREAU HEAD: A Deputy Chief or Director.
- CHAIN OF COMMAND: The continuous line of authority to and from the Chief of Police.
- CIVILIAN: A non-sworn civil service employee.
- COMMANDER: A supervisor of a precinct, unit or division.
- DEPARTMENT: The Minneapolis Police Department.
- DETAIL: Personnel assigned to a specific mission.
- DISTRICT: A geographical area within a sector usually determined by the precinct Inspector.
- DIVISION: A major component of a bureau.
- EMPLOYEE: All sworn and civilian employees of the MPD.
- FIELD COMMANDER: An officer, who by designation, rank or seniority, is in charge at an emergency scene, investigation or planned special event.
- FUNCTION: A major organizational component of a bureau, division or unit.
- INCIDENT COMMANDER: An officer, who by rank, seniority or designation is in charge at an emergency scene, investigation or planned special event.
- LAWFUL ORDER: Any written or oral directive issued by a supervisor or a proper authority in the course of work that is in compliance with MPD rules and regulations.
- LENGTH OF SERVICE: As defined by Civil Service Rules and Regulations or Labor Contract. Length of time employed by the City of Minneapolis.
- MECC: The Minneapolis Emergency Communications Center.
- MPD: The Minneapolis Police Department.
- PRECINCT: A division of the Field Services Bureaus representing a geographical area of the city.
- PROMOTION: A position change to a higher classification.
- RANK: Classification held by a sworn employee.
- RANKING OFFICER: Officer of the highest rank. Officers of the same rank are ranked according to appointment date within their rank.
- SECTOR: A geographical area within a precinct as determined by the precinct Inspector or Chief.
- SENIORITY: See Civil Service Rules and Regulations or labor contract.
- SHIFT: A group of employees assigned common hours.
- SICK LEAVE: See Civil Service Rules and Regulations or labor contract.
- SQUAD: An MPD police vehicle.
- SUPERVISOR: An employee who is officially assigned to supervise other employees.
- TIME: All references will be to the 24-hour clock system. Example: 12:30 A.M. is 0030 hours/ 4:00 P.M. is 1600.
- UNIT: An organizational component within a bureau, division or precinct usually supervised by a lieutenant or civilian equivalent.
- WATCH: An assigned duty/work period.
- WORK DAY AND WEEK: A work day begins and ends at 2400 hours. The work week for the MPD begins on Sunday and ends on Saturday.
The following rules of grammar shall apply throughout the Policy and Procedure Manual:
- The use of the verb "shall" or "will" means that the specified course of action is mandatory.
- The use of the verb "may" means that the specified action is permitted.
- The verb "should" means that the specified action is advised.
Last updated May. 14, 2013