Report Abandoned Dwellings

1. If a building is vacant and open to trespass but not boarded, call Housing Inspections, Boarded Building Unit. They can begin the process to have it boarded if it is not already started. The owner of a building must be notified and given 16 days to secure the building themselves. After that, the city may board the house.

2. If the house has been boarded but now is open to trespass, call the Boarded Building Unit. They will secure the property.

3. Neighbors might "adopt" vacant and abandoned buildings in their area and report any suspicious or illegal activity by calling 9-1-1.

4. If the building is vacant and open to trespass and people are illegally occupying the building, call 9-1-1 and report this activity. If this is an ongoing problem, contact your area Crime Prevention Specialist.

Housing Inspections - Boarded Buildings
Crime Prevention Specialists

Last updated Sep 27, 2011