Vulnerable Adults

Crimes Against Vulnerable Adults

How to Report Maltreatment of a Vulnerable Adult

Related Websites


In 1995, the Minnesota legislature amended the Vulnerable Adults Act. The amendments provide new definitions of vulnerable adults.

Vulnerable adult

Mandated reporter. A professional or professional's delegate while engaged in: social services, law enforcement, education, medical examiner, health care, the care of vulnerable adults, or any employee of a facility licensed for care of vulnerable adults.

Crimes Against Vulnerable Adults

Abuse. Generally defined as assault but also covers areas such as sexual assault, force or coercing the vulnerable adult to do acts they would not normally do, use of unreasonable acts, verbal or physical, that would be derogatory or humiliating to the vulnerable adult.

Financial Exploitation. When a person takes advantage of the vulnerable adult's situation to obtain unauthorized money, this can include fraud, theft, forgery, and any other type of financial exploitation.

Neglect. The failure of a caretaker to provide a vulnerable adult with needed care or services. This includes medical, clothing, food, shelter, and supervision. The vulnerable adult may be self-neglecting as well.

How to Report Maltreatment of a Vulnerable Adult. 


The State of Minnesota has designated a central common entry point for the reporting of suspected maltreatment of vulnerable adults.  The toll free number is 844-880-1574.  This number is answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The report will be made, and the appropriate agency along with local law enforcement will review the report and take any action deemed necessary.

Response To a Report of Maltreatment of a Vulnerable Adult
Based upon the report submitted to the CEP, one or more of the following agencies will get involved:

Law Enforcement. When suspected criminal activity is alleged to have occurred (assault, sexual assault, theft, financial exploitation, etc.).

Local County Agency/Adult Protection. When the vulnerable adult needs immediate protection or the incident does not involve a facility.

Minnesota Department of Health. Incident occurred in a facility licensed or required to be licensed by the Minnesota Department of Health (hospitals, home care providers, nursing homes, residential care homes, or boarding homes).

Department of Human Services. Incident occurred in a facility licensed or required to be licensed by the Department of Human Services (adult day care, adult foster care, programs for people with developmental disabilities, mental health programs, chemical health programs, or personal care provider organizations.)

An investigation by the appropriate agency will be completed and once this is done, a finding will be issued.

Related websites:

Hennepin County Vulnerable Adult Protection

Last updated Feb 10, 2016



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo