City of Minneapolis Enterprise Policy Coversheet
Alternative Work Arrangements (AWA) Policy
Departments: All departments under the jurisdiction of the Mayor and City Council.
Employees: This policy applies to appointed employees, non-represented employees, politically appointed employees and employees represented by the Minneapolis City Supervisors Association (MCSA) and the Minneapolis Professional Employee’s Association (MPEA). Employees covered by a labor agreement should check applicable contract language regarding Alternative Work Arrangements (AWA).
Establishes policy, roles and responsibilities for approving and authorizing the following AWAs covered by this policy:
1. Compressed Workweek - A 40-hour workweek is completed in less than five full workdays or an 80 hour work schedule is completed over a two week pay period in less than 10 work days.
2. Flextime - A 40-hour workweek (for full-time employees) is completed but there is flexibility in establishing daily start and end times. Days of the workweek may have varying start and end times, but the pattern should recur predictably over each workweek.
3. Job Share - More than one employee shares the duties of one full-time budgeted position. Work hours of each employee may vary.
4. Gradual Retirement - The practice of allowing individual employees nearing retirement to develop work schedules that allow them to retire gradually rather than going from full-time to retired in a very short period of time such as a single day.
5. Telework - Telework is the practice of an employee working remotely. Remote worksites include homes, mobile worksites, customer sites, or other remote locations. Teleworkers generally use information technologies at the remote worksite to perform their work-related responsibilities.
Council Approval Date: December 10, 2010
Effective Date: January 3, 2011
Last Revision Date: December 10, 2010
Policy Coverage Expansion: Minneapolis City Supervisors Association (February 19, 2011) and Minneapolis Professional Employee’s Association (June 30, 2011)
"Telework"; "Job Share"; "Compressed Work Week"; "Flextime"; "Flexible Work Hours"; "Gradual Retirement"; "Alternative Work Arrangement"; "Flexible Work Arrangement"; "Ergonomic Assessment"; "AWA"; "Telework Equipment Receipt"; "Phased Retirement"; "Job Sharing"; "Telecommuting"
Procedures and Forms
Director of Human Resources (612) 673-2139
Human Resources Manager (Administration) (612) 673-3103
Last updated Jun 21, 2018