Travel Authorizations And Expense Report Approvals

The City's Travel Policy provides that the Finance Officer shall develop administrative rules to implement the adopted policies. Department Heads must authorize travel and approve trip expense reports of the employees in their Department. Department Heads may delegate this authority to any "authorized signatory" in the travelers department. An authorized signatory is any person in a job title that is identified as a "position authorized to sign contracts" according to the Finance Department records.

No person shall be allowed to approve his/her own travel expenses. A travelling employee who is an authorized signatory must have their trip expenses approved by another authorized signatory in the same department unless otherwise identified below.

If the Traveler is…then the Travel Report and trip expenses must be approved by the
An employeeAn authorized signatory (see list on CityTalk)
An authorized signatory with a direct report to another authorized signatoryThe authorized signatory to whom the first authorized signatory reports
An authorized signatory who is nominated by the MayorThe Mayor
An authorized signatory who is nominated and appointed by the CouncilFinance Officer
A Council Member or the MayorCity Clerk or Assistant City Clerk

Last updated Apr 11, 2014



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo