What is a Promise Zone?
Promise Zones are federally designated, high poverty communities where Federal Government agencies partner with local organizations and leaders to increase economic activity, address the housing blight, and leverage private investment through a racial equity framework. The designation will last for a term of ten years. There are 22 urban, rural, and tribal Promise Zones that have been designated. More information about Promise Zones.
As part of the designation, the North Minneapolis Promise Zone has received:
- 7 AmeriCorps VISTA members
- Federal liaison assigned to help navigate federal programs
- Technical assistance from partnered federal agencies
- Preferences for certain federal grant programs
Since its genesis the North Minneapolis Promise Zone has:
- Leveraged preference points on federal grants to bring $38.8 million in grants into North Minneapolis. If you would like to learn more about applying for federal grants, learn more here, or email Tessa Grantier, our resource development coordinator.
- Operated an economic development working group that meets with local businesses, non-profits, and entrepreneurs, monthly. If you would like to join us at our next working group meeting, email Megan Bursch, our economic development coordinator.
- Created a community vulnerability index (CVI), which aggregates seven indicators to determine the community's ability to withstand various stresses. Learn more here.
What is an Opportunity Zone?
About the North Minneapolis Promise Zone
The North Minneapolis Promise Zone is a comprehensive, community-driven strategy that builds on and aligns numerous initiatives to build a more inclusive economy, to promote stable housing, and to improve health and safety, for all North Minneapolis Promise Zone residents. Learn more about the North Minneapolis Promise Zone goals.
The designation covers 80-85% of what is commonly called North Minneapolis, or the Northside. This includes 9 neighborhoods and most of zip codes 55411 and 55412. The boundaries are Queen Avenue North to the Mississippi River, and 45th Avenue North to Basset Creek Valley.
Some statistics about the Promise Zone:
- Population: 41,705 (47% Black or African American)
- Employment: 62.6% among working age adults
- Poverty Rate: 35.3% of residents
- Unemployment Rate: 12.9% (national average of 6.9%)
Last updated Aug 27, 2019