20 Year Street Funding Plan
The 20 Year Street Funding Plan is the document that details the process and criteria for how the City of Minneapolis plans to select street improvement projects for inclusion in the annual Capital Improvement Program (CIP). The plan is informed by the Neighborhood Park and Street Infrastructure ordinance.
Neighborhood Park and Street Infrastructure Plans ordinance
On April 29, 2016 the City Council passed an ordinance that was a landmark agreement to equitably address needed funding to repave City streets and maintain neighborhood parks far into the future. The measure provides $800 million over the next 20 years to help the City and the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board keep up with needed maintenance and operations costs for city streets and neighborhood parks.
- The 20 Year Street Funding Plan details the approach, criteria and methodology developed to prioritize street projects in the CIP. All supporting analyses are included in the appendices.
- The 2018 Plan Update replaces Chapter 4 of the original 2016 Plan, the remainder of the 2016 Plan remains current and valid.
- The 2019-2023 CIP can be viewed here: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/public/@finance/documents/webcontent/wcmsp-209957.pdf
In 2018, Public Works updated the 20 Year Streets Funding Plan to incorporate new datasets, such as updated pavement condition data and data gathered via public outreach, as well as to adjust the scoring process to better align with City goals and policies and what Public Works heard from extensive public engagement held throughout 2017. The 20 Year Streets Funding Plan - 2018 Update describes the updated datasets and summarizes the changes made to the 2016 Plan’s scoring framework.
The 2018 Update informed the selection and planning process of the paving projects within the 2019-2023 CIP.
For a detailed list of all projects included in the 2019-2023 CIP please visit the Capital Long-Range Improvement Committee (CLIC) Reports.
From April to September 2016 Public Works undertook a planning process to develop the 20 Year Street Funding Plan. During the summer and fall the City:
- Gained input on how to best incorporate equity into the criteria-based process through targeted stakeholder engagement and an open house. Details of that feedback can be found here (link to outreach summary).
- Developed criteria for project selection
- Recommended an Amended 2017-2022 CIP to the City Council that uses a data-driven and opportunistic process for project selection, and focuses on racial and economic equity
2018 Related Materials
- May 15, 2018 Transportation and Public Works Committee record of Receive and File for the 20 Year Streets Funding Plan - 2018 Update
2017 Related Presentations
- October 5 2017 Ways and Means budget presentation
2016 Related Presentations
- September 27 2016 Transportation and Public Works presentation
- October 6 2016 Ways and Means budget presentation
The City of Minneapolis will continue to evaluate the criteria used to prioritize projects.
Last updated Jun 25, 2018