Minneapolis Ordinance requires a permit for any parade, march, or procession in or on any street or alley in the City (not including sidewalks).
Note: If the event occurs exclusively on park property, contact the Minneapolis Park Board, for Park Permits and Reservations. A permit is not required with the City.
In addition to completing a Parade Permit Application, the event must meet these requirements:
- Application must be submitted at least 5 business days prior to event. A legible route map must be included with the application.
- Parade route must be approved by Doug Maday, Public Works Traffic & Parking Services (612) 673-5755 or Police Sgt. Patricia Hellen, (612) 673-3942.
- Once the parade route has been approved, a detailed traffic control plan must be provided with the application showing location and type of traffic control signs.
- Authorized traffic control agents or police personnel must be provided at all intersections requiring traffic control.
- Barricades, signs and delineation equipment must be installed and removed as directed by either the Public Works or Police Department. The City does not rent equipment. There are a number of local private firms which do rent the equipment.
- Volunteers must be provided to monitor barricades at all intersections not requiring traffic control personnel.
- Recyclables must be collected and a waste and recycling plan must be submitted with the permit application in accordance with [Minneapolis Ordinance §447.91] [KKL1]. Minneapolis Solid Waste & Recycling has containers available for rent. See [Rental of Containers] [KKL2] for more information
- Residents and property owners abutting the event route must be notified by leaflet at least 48 hours before the event (See Minneapolis Ordinance §447.130)([KKL3]).
A $25 non-refundable filing fee is required with the application.
Individuals and organizations demonstrating financial hardship may have this fee waived.
No Parking Sign Posting Fee
When the posting of temporary "No Parking" signs along a parade route is required, applicants seeking a parade permit must additionally pay posting fees that shall be set by Resolution 2006R-635 (pdf) of the City Council.
Before application is submitted, please contact Doug Maday at (612) 673-5755 to determine the posting fee.
Payment of the posting fee must be submitted with the application.
See [City Ordinance Chapter 447] [KKL5] for parade/races requirement
Last updated Jan 15, 2014