Public Works Logo

Public Works
350 South 5th Street
RM 203 City Hall
Minneapolis, MN  55415-1390

To contact, call 311.

Chapter 52: Erosion and Sediment Control for Land-Disturbing Activities

This ordinance regulates everyone who disturbs topsoil and is designed to insure that soil does not leave an excavation site or enter any storm drain system, on either private property or the public right-of-way.

All Minneapolis construction sites disturbing topsoil are subject to erosion control compliance. Sites disturbing more than five cubic yards or 500 square feet of topsoil, including utility excavations and any residential or commercial demolition projects, need an erosion control permit prior to the start of work. Demolition and construction sites great than 5,000 square feet require an approved erosion control plan prior to a permit being issues for the site.

Chapter 52 Ordinance

Standard Erosion Control Notes

Impacts of Erosion and Sediment from Construction Sites

Erosion Control Plan Submittal Check List

Last updated Oct 3, 2017



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo