Public Works Logo

Public Works
350 South 5th Street
RM 203 City Hall
Minneapolis, MN  55415-1390

To contact, call 311.

Dealing with Flood Damage

Whether you have one inch or one foot of water in your basement, you need to know how to clean up the mess. You should start clean up as soon as the water recedes.

For Your Safety

For information about safety before and during a flood, see Flood Safety. Also see the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources web site about Flooding in Minnesota.

Cleaning up

Flooded lawns

If your lawn has been underwater for less than four days, it should survive. The following items will help:


For more information about cleaning up, go to the University of Minnesota Extension Service home page. Search for floods.

North Dakota State University has a number of files about flood information found on their website.

Repairing Your Flooded Home (FEMA)

Disclaimer: The items listed on this page are merely summaries of possible measures that can be used for dealing with flood damage. For more information about some specific how-to steps that you may want to consider, follow the provided links to other websites.

Last updated Oct 1, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo