Public Works Logo

Public Works
350 South 5th Street
RM 203 City Hall
Minneapolis, MN  55415-1390

To contact, call 311.

Flood Information FAQ

Whether you have major flooding in your house, or a small puddle in your basement, you need information in a hurry.  See below for some answers to frequently asked flooding related questions.  If you can't find the answer here, or if need to report a flooding problem, click here Minneapolis Sewer Operations - Contact Information, containing web links, departmental phone numbers and hours.

How do I clean up after a flood?

If your basement is flooded, please review Flood Damage. There are some important safety concerns you should be aware of before dealing with home flooding.

How can water enter my house?

Water can enter your house in three ways:

1. When water has saturated the ground surrounding your house, and there is nowhere for it to go, it can seep in through cracks, joints in walls or foundations, or rise up through the floor.

2. The sanitary sewer service can back up through a floor drain or a toilet.

3. A major rainstorm can cause flood stormwater to enter your house through above ground openings, window wells, doors, etc.

Note: When reporting water in your house, be sure to explain how the water got in.

How can I prevent groundwater seepage and sewer backups?

If your home has plumbing fixtures or floor drains below street level, water could enter your house. For more information, see the Floodproofing Your Home web page.

How can I find out the flooding history of my area?

Minneapolis Public Works maintains historical records of areas that were subject to past flooding. You can call (612) 673-2406 between 7:00 AM and 3:30 PM for more information. Information you provide will start a process to evaluate property condition, based on flood complaints. Your information will be forwarded to an appropriate City representative. For additional phone numbers, see Minneapolis Sewer Operations - Contact Information.

Will my homeowner's or renter’s insurance pay for flood damage?

Your homeowner or renter's insurance policy probably does not cover losses caused by flooding. An additional insurance policy, called Flood Insurance, is required if you live in a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) designated flood zone or floodplain. You may also purchase optional flood insurance for non-FEMA designated areas, if your area is subject to flooding.

How do I know if my property is in a FEMA designated flood zone?

Flood Zones, or floodplains, in Minneapolis are mapped by the FEMA. You can go to the FEMA Map Service Center to access maps that are available. Additionally, you can find out the history of flooding or drainage problems in your area from Minneapolis Public Works, Surface Water & Sewers division at (612) 673-2406.

If my property is not in a FEMA designated flood zone, does this mean I will not get flooded?

Not necessarily. There are many areas in Minneapolis that are not a FEMA designated flood zone, but have been subject to localized flooding in the past. The City of Minneapolis Flood Mitigation Program was designed to prevent future flooding in these localized areas. Other undiscovered areas may still exist in Minneapolis.

If there is a flood, what should I do? How can I keep my family and myself safe?

Steps you take ahead of time are important to prepare your home for possible flooding in the future. For additional information, see Flood Safety.

Can I purchase flood insurance if my property is not in a flood hazard area?

Yes, the City of Minneapolis participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).  This means you may purchase flood insurance, regardless of the zone in which your property resides.

Last updated May 1, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo