Public Works Logo

Public Works
350 South 5th Street
RM 203 City Hall
Minneapolis, MN  55415-1390

To contact, call 311.

Flood Insurance

Your homeowner or renter's insurance policy may not cover losses caused by flooding

If your home has plumbing fixtures or floor drains below street level, your basement could flood. Water damage from heavy rain storms, snow melt or sewer backups are most often not covered by the homeowner's policy, but it may be covered by flood insurance. Even if you do not live in a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) designated flood zone, it might be wise to get flood insurance. Approximately 25% of flood-related claims are for homes outside of a FEMA designated flood zone.

If you feel your home may be susceptible to flooding, consider getting flood insurance. Policies typically require a 30-day waiting period before becoming effective. Snowmelt flooding, heavy rainfall and flash flooding can occur with little warning. Contact your insurance agent for additional information. Be aware that the risk level of an area can change over time. New construction development and environmental changes can alter the impact of flood waters in your area.

If your home is in a flood zone (also known as a flood plain), your mortgage lender will require flood insurance. Flood zones are mapped by the FEMA. To find a map of flood zones, go to the FEMA website.

National Flood Insurance Program

The City of Minneapolis participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), which means that all residents are eligible to purchase flood insurance from the Federal Government.

Cost of Flood Insurance

You can buy flood insurance through most insurance companies. The annual cost for flood coverage can vary, depending on what FEMA designated flood zone you live in. Coverage for household contents is separate, so renters can also purchase flood insurance.

Federal Disaster Areas

A Federal Disaster Area is an area declared by the President of the United States to be eligible for federal assistance under the Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act.  Generally, you should be aware that:


Disclaimer: The information on this page is merely a summary of flood insurance information. For more information, contact your insurance agent.

Last updated May 1, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo