Public Works Logo

Public Works
350 South 5th Street
RM 203 City Hall
Minneapolis, MN  55415-1390

To contact, call 311.

Watershed Friendly Practices for Businesses

Rainleader Disconnect Program

Residential and commercial buildings sometimes have rooftop drains (also called rainleaders) which lead underground directly to the sanitary sewer system (rather than through gutters to lawns). Rainleaders typically drain down the side of a building, or internally through a roof drain stack, eventually to the storm drain system.

These drains must be disconnected because they are one of the leading causes of Combined Sewer Overflows.

Best Management Practices

The Urban Small Sites Best Management Practice (BMP) Manual includes detailed information for managing stormwater pollution for small urban sites in a cold-climate setting.

Other Businesses Useful Links

State Stormwater Permits

Find the latest information about Minnesota's Stormwater Program. Under the state rules, owners and operators of construction activity that disturbs one acre or more of land (including smaller sites that are part of a larger development) must obtain a Combined NPDES/SDS permit from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA).

State stormwater related permits are also needed if you operate an industrial facility, both public and private. If you have questions about various state stormwater permits, call the MPCA Customer Assistance Center at 800-646-6247 or (651) 297-2274, or see the MPCA Stormwater website.

Watersheds Management Organizations in Minneapolis

For information regarding required permits in Minneapolis for stormwater runoff, see Watershed Management Organizations.

Last updated Feb 21, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo