Street Sweeping in Minneapolis
Fall comprehensive street sweeping will start Tuesday October 18, 2016
Each spring and fall, Public Works crews sweep every mile of the City's more than 1,100 miles of streets – curb to curb – to help keep our neighborhoods clean and livable and to protect our waterways. Each spring, crews also sweep the nearly 400 miles of alleys as well. Leaves and other debris on the streets can clog storm drains and pollute our lakes and rivers.
Street sweeping usually takes about four weeks to complete. Thanks for your cooperation.
Street sweeping schedule
Use the visual, interactive Street Sweeping Schedule Lookup map to see when your area is scheduled for street sweeping. The schedule is color-coded to enable you to easily identify when your street will be swept.
The schedule is updated frequently during the sweep to reflect the actual progress of street sweeping. The schedule shown here may change. The map may be updated, so please check back just prior to your scheduled day; or if you think your street was not swept as scheduled.
Keep informed - avoid being towed
Please take a moment to view the schedule, vehicles parked in violation of signs are subject to a ticket and tow.
- "No Parking signs" – City crews will post "No Parking" signs at least 24 hours before sweeping any streets. Parking will be banned from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on the day a street is swept. Vehicles not removed will be towed to the Minneapolis Impound Lot.
- Phone calls to residents – During the spring and fall sweeps, in addition to the "No Parking" signs that will be posted the day before sweepers come through, the City will make about 3,500 automated phone calls each evening to let residents know their street will be swept the next day. Listed, residential telephone numbers will be called.
Street sweeping videos
- Videos – Street sweeping is explained in English, Hmong, Somali and Spanish as part of the City’s “Did you know...” series of short videos that can be viewed at www.YouTube.com/cityofminneapolis and on City cable channels 14 and 79. Residents who have friends or neighbors who speak these languages are encouraged to share links to the videos.
- English: See how and why Minneapolis sweeps streets and what you can do to help keep streets and waterways clean in this video from the Minneapolis “Did you know…” series.
- Spanish: Vea en este video de las series “Sabia Usted” como y porque Minneapolis barre las calles y limpia las vias fluviales.
- Somali: Ka daawo fiidyowga taxanaha… ee Minneapolis ee loo yaqaan “Ma Ogtahay” siyaabaha iyo sababaha minneapolis jidadka ay u xaaqido oo ogow sidii aad uga caawin lahayd ilaalinta nadaafada jidadka iyo biyo mareenada.
- Hmong: Yog xav paub ntxiv, sais nroog Minneapolis cov tshooj xov xwm hu, “Koj pos paub.”
Last updated Oct 14, 2016