General Guidelines - Rental of Containers (Carts) for your Special Events
- Deliver only within the limits of the City of Minneapolis.
- Deliver and pickup is only assigned *Monday through Friday, between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. *If Monday is a major holiday, containers will be collected on Tuesday.
- Application and payment MUST be received at least 10 days before the date of the delivery.
- Rental cost: $20.00 per container that includes delivery and pick up of containers in addition to disposal costs. As rental is based on the request, not your usage, rental fees are non-refundable.
- All containers are dropped off and picked up in the same location.
Any special services requested by the applicant should be made before submitting the application and payment. Some requests can be accommodated at an additional cost. Please call (612) 673-3536 for more information.
Planning for your event:
- Rental is not guaranteed so be sure your application is submitted at least 10 days prior to your event.
- Consider what will be served, how it will be served, what you wish to collect and how many people will attend to determine the number of containers to rent. It is recommended to place a recycling bin next to every garbage can. For planning assistance, visit the Green Gatherings website.
- Containers are not emptied during your rental period. An additional fee of $5 per bag will be charged for any extra garbage, recycling, or organics that are placed next to the containers for pickup. Make sure sufficient carts are rented to collect all materials to avoid added charges.
- The event organizer has the right to place containers where needed throughout the event site. All containers must be returned to the same location that we dropped them off for the crew to pick them up.
- You may attach temporary signs to any of the containers, but do not write on or deface the containers as you may be charged a damaged container fee. For printable signs or sign examples, visit Hennepin County's or the Recycling Association of Minnesota's websites.
- Weekend events require the containers to be delivered to a secure location on Friday, with collection from the same location on Monday. Reminder: if Monday is a major holiday, they will be picked up on the following work day. See holiday schedule.
- The rental fees are non-refundable, unless the event is canceled 24 hours prior to the requested date of delivery.
- Missing Containers: The organizer is responsible for the safekeeping of the containers and will be charged $50.00 per container that is missing or damaged.
- The person or organization renting the container(s) is responsible for the materials placed into the containers. No yard waste or hazardous waste may be placed in any of the containers. Additional fees will be assessed if these items are found in any of the containers. Hazardous waste fees begin at $75 dollars with an upper limit based on the cost to properly dispose of hazardous waste placed in the containers.
Container types are shown on the right.
- Blue = Recycling Cart - 96 gallons
- Black = Garbage Cart - 94 gallons
- Green = Organics Cart - 64 gallons
We will track collection weights and provide them to the event organizer upon request.
- Complete the Rental Application and
- Email to SWandRSupervisors@minneapolismn.gov, fax to (612) 673-2250, or mail or drop off the application and payment to the address listed on the rental application.
- Make your check or money order payable to: Minneapolis Finance Department. Payment by debit/charge card is not available at this time.
An email contact on the application is important, so we can confirm rental and follow up with our feedback form. This will also help us improve our rental process.
What you can expect from us:
- We will hold your email request until the application and payment has been received.
- Once payment has been received, you will receive an email confirmation approximately one week prior to the delivery date.
- Confirmation email will include contact information for the Foreman who will process your request. You will be able to contact the Foreman with any additional follow up information or needs, after the application approval.
Once the containers have been delivered:
- Event organizer has the right to place containers where needed throughout the event site.
- Containers must be returned to the original drop off location.
- Containers must be ready for pickup by 7:00 a.m. of the agreed pickup date on the application.
If you have any questions regarding the Container Rental program, please call (612) 673-3536.
Last updated Oct. 25, 2013