General Guidelines - Rental of Containers (Carts) for your Special Events
- Deliver only within the limits of the City of Minneapolis.
- Deliver and pickup is only assigned *Monday through Friday, between the hours of 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. *If the event falls on a major holiday, containers will be delivered one day before and collected the next working day after the holiday.
- Application and payment MUST be received at least 10 days before the date of the delivery. Additional fees may be charged to the applicant following the event. See the Possible Additional Fees section below for more information.
- All containers are dropped off and picked up in the same location.
Any special services requested by the applicant should be made before submitting the application and payment. Some requests can be accommodated at an additional cost. Please call (612) 673-3536 for more information.
- An $80 mobilization fee is charged for all container rentals. The mobilization fee covers the rental fees for the first four carts, in addition to the delivery, pickup and cleaning the carts as well as administration for the program. Garbage disposal taxes and fees will be billed following the event.
- Note: Organics and recycling containers are counted first as containers covered by the mobilization charge.
- Each recycling or organics cart above the four included in the mobilization fee have a $5 per cart charge. Organics carts will come with one cart-liner to fit the inside of the cart. In the event the cart fills up, simply take the bag out and place materials into the cart.
- Garbage carts have an added charge of $15 per cart.
- As rental is based on request, not your usage, rental fees are non-refundable.
- Missing or Damaged Containers: The organizer is responsible for the safekeeping of the containers and will be charged $50 per container that is missing or damaged.
- Contamination: If recycling or organics containers are contaminated, the person or organization renting the container(s) will be charged a $10 fee per cart to have the material dumped as garbage.
- Extra Materials: For any bagged materials that do not fit in any cart, an additional fee of $5 per bag will be charged.
- Unacceptable Materials: The person or organization renting the container(s) is responsible for the material placed into the containers.
- No yard waste or hazardous waste may be placed in any of the containers.
- Hazardous waste fees begin at $75 with an upper limit based on the cost to properly dispose of the hazardous waste placed in the container(s).
- Returned Check: A $30 fee will be charged for any returned checks.
Planning for your event:
- Rental is not guaranteed so be sure your application and payment are submitted at least 10 days prior to your event.
- Consider what will be served, how it will be served, what you wish to collect and how many people will attend to determine the number of containers to rent. It is recommended to place a recycling bin next to every garbage can. For planning assistance, visit the Green Gatherings website.
- Containers are not emptied during your rental period. An additional fee of $5 per bag will be charged for any extra garbage, recycling, or organics that are placed next to the containers for pickup. Make sure sufficient carts are rented to collect all materials to avoid added charges.
- The event organizer has the right to place containers where needed throughout the event site. All containers must be returned to the same location that we dropped them off for the crew to pick them up.
- You may attach temporary signs to any of the containers, but do not write on or deface the containers as you may be charged a damaged container fee. For printable signs or sign examples, visit Hennepin County's or the Recycling Association of Minnesota's websites.
- Weekend events require the containers to be delivered to a secure location on Friday, with collection from the same location on Monday. Reminder: If Monday is a major holiday, they will be picked up on the following work day. See holiday schedule.
- The rental fees are non-refundable.
Container types are shown on the right.
- Blue = Recycling Cart - 94 gallons
- Black = Garbage Cart - 94 gallons
- Green = Organics Cart - 64 gallons
If feasible, we will track collection weights and provide them to the event organizer upon request prior to container delivery.
- Complete the Rental Application and
- Email to SWandRSupervisors@minneapolismn.gov, fax to (612) 673-2250, or mail or drop off the application and payment to the address listed on the rental application.
- You must pay the full balance for container rentals by check (mailed or delivered to our office) or by credit card by selecting the rental charged to be added to your City of Minneapolis Utility Bill or by requesting an invoice for the rental fees. Checks may also be written to pay the Utility Bill or invoice. If writing a check, make the check or money ordr payable to: Minneapolis Finance Department. Additional fees may be charged to the applicant following the event if damages, adidtional materials, unacceptable materials, or contamination of materials occurs.
An email contact on the application is important so we can confirm rental and follow up with our feedback form. A cell phone number is also important for our crew to contact the organizer with any questions when delivering or picking up the containers.
What you can expect from us:
- We will hold your email request until the application and payment has been received.
- Once payment has been received, you will receive an email confirmation approximately one week prior to the delivery date.
- Confirmation email will include contact information for the Foreman who will process your request. You will be able to contact the Foreman with any additional follow up information or needs, after the application approval.
Once the containers have been delivered:
- Event organizer has the right to place containers where needed throughout the event site.
- Containers must be returned to the original drop off location.
- Containers must be ready for pickup by 7 a.m. of the agreed pickup date on the application.
If you have any questions regarding the Container Rental program, please call (612) 673-3536.
Last updated Feb. 27, 2014