- You may place up to 2 extra garbage bags or boxes of garbage next to your garbage cart.
- Items must not fall apart or break when crews pick them up.
- Each bag or box must weigh less than 40 pounds.
- If you use boxes for extra garbage, these will not be returned.
- Extra garbage is recorded by the crew, and any household who continually has extra garbage will be assigned another cart.
- If possible, place bags with raw garbage inside your cart, and those most likely not to attract unwanted animals next to your cart. Squirrels and raccoons are attracted to strong smells, and will chew through plastic bags, and create a mess that you will have to clean up.
Excess Garbage from Moving or House Cleaning
We will NOT pickup more than two extra items. You must request a voucher and take your "extra" garbage to the South Transfer Station for disposal. If you have lots of extra garbage from moving or house cleaning, see Voucher Program.
For a fee, we will come do a special pickup. Go to Special Clean ups for more information or contact our office. You must be approved by Solid Waste & Recycling before a special clean up can be completed.
Report Illegal Dumping or Garbage Abuses - Dial 311
Garbage collection is a special service to our paying customers only. Taking or using another resident's collection point is illegal. City Ordinance 225.10 states in part: "No person shall leave, throw, or deposit, or use or permit any other person to leave, place, throw, or deposit, any substances or materials of any kind at a city solid waste collection point for city disposal when the substances or materials were generated at a location other than the residence."
If you see any illegal dumping, anywhere in the City of Minneapolis, please write down the license plate number, a description of the vehicle and person involved in the dumping, and the item that was dumped. Report it by calling Minneapolis 311. Your call will remain anonymous, by request.
Last updated Mar 10, 2019