One-Sort Recycling Collection
- Recycling is collected every other week. The maximum weight for the 96-gallon large one-sort cart and its contents is 200 pounds.
- Your recycling cart must be at your collection point by 6 a.m. on your collection day each recycling week. To sign up to receive email reminders to place your recycling out at your collection point, visit the Find Your Recycling Day webpage.
- Customers are provided with a recycling cart, either a small or a large cart. City crews deliver and maintain all carts. If your cart is damaged, call Solid Waste & Recycling at (612) 673-2917 to request for your cart to be repaired.
- Extra recyclables may be placed next to the recycling cart in a cardboard box or in paper bags. If you consistently have extra recycling, call Solid Waste & Recycling at (612) 673-2917 to request an additional one-sort cart.
- Your collection day is assigned by the Solid Waste & Recycling Division. Routes are created so the Division operates in the most cost-effective way. Look up your collection day.
- In the winter, remember to shovel a 3 foot wide path to your cart, including snow left by the plow. See Snow Shoveling for specific shoveling requirements.
How to Prepare Your Recycling:
One-sort makes recycling easier! Simply rinse your containers and place all recyclables loose or in paper bags in your one-sort cart. Do not place plastic bags in your recycling cart. You may collect your recycling in plastic bags, but you must dump the recyclables out of the plastic bag into the cart and place the plastic bag in the garbage or bring it to a second hand store for reuse or a participating grocery store for recycling. You may also collect your recycling in a resuable bag and empty the contents into your one-sort cart for collection. Click here for a PDF version of the recycling guide.
Visit our Acceptable Recyclables webpage to see what all you can recycle. For more detailed information on paper and contianer recycling, visit the following pages:
Food, Beverage & Other Container Recycling
Old Blue and Green Recycling Bins:
We encourage you to keep your curbside bins and reuse them for an alternative purpose such as storing toys or lawncare supplies. Do not store any bins that you want to keep at your collection point. Any old bins left at your collection area will be collected by City crews for recycling and cannot be returned.
Our crews cannot pick up your recycling if there is a problem with it. Unacceptable recycling will be marked with a recycling educational tag. If you find a tag, please read it over to understand what the issue with the recycling is, correct the problem, and place your recycling out on your next recycling day.
Some reasons why your recycling may not be picked up include:
- Non-recyclable materials such as garbage and plastic bags were found in the recycling cart.
- Recyclables were contaminated: items must be rinsed before placed in the one-sort cart.
- Recycling cart was not shoveled and free from snow and ice.
- Recycling was not at the pickup area, next to the garbage cart.
- Recycling was not out for pickup on the correct recycling week.
- Recycling cart weighed over 200 pounds.
Your recycling will be picked up at any time starting at 6 a.m. on your collection day. You may notice your recycling is collected at about the same time every other week. Please understand that changes in weather conditions, crew assignments and equipment problems can change your pickup to earlier or later in the day. Please make sure your recycling is always out by 6 a.m. on your collection day.
If you do not find an educational tag and you believe your recycling was missed, please wait until after 3:30 p.m. on the day of pickup before calling Solid Waste & Recycling at (612) 673-2917. Sorry, but we will not return for recycling if your cart was not out on time.
When your collection day falls on or after a holiday, recycling collection will be one day later than normal. See the Holiday Schedule for more information.
Report Misuse of Recycling Service:
Recycling collection is a special service to our paying customers only. Taking or using another resident's collection point or cart is illegal. City Ordinance 225.10 states in part: "No person shall leave, throw, or deposit, or use or permit any other person to leave, place, throw, or deposit, any substances or materials of any kind at a city solid waste collection point for city disposal when the substances or materials were generated at a location other than the residence."
If you have any additional questions, please call Solid Waste & Recycling at 612-673-2917 or by emailing SWRcustomer@minneapolismn.gov.
Last updated Apr 24, 2015