Vouchers MUST be requested in advance by calling Solid Waste & Recycling at (612) 673-2917 during our regular business hours: Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Vouchers are not issued on site at the Transfer Station.
Tell us what you will be bringing to the transfer station, as we need to confirm that the items you want to dispose of are accepted.
Let us know when you want to use the voucher as we issue vouchers for a specific week or Saturday.
- Tuesday-Friday = Open hours 12:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday Only = Open hours 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
The transfer station is closed Sunday, Monday and Major Holidays.
*Please plan for enough time to have your debris unloaded by the station’s closing time. Once you enter the transfer station, you must first weigh in and then you may unload your items in the appropriate location(s) as directed by the station attendant. Once you have unloaded your items, return to the outbound scale to weigh out. If you do not weight out, a minimum fee of $39.99 ($29.99 for driving off plus a $10 processing fee) will be added to your City of Minneapolis Utility Bill.
When you order a voucher you will be offered a tracking number. Please have this tracking number with you when you come to the transfer station as it can help us locate your voucher in our system.
We do reserve the right to limit the number of vouchers that can be issued in a specific week or Saturday.
Minneapolis Solid Waste & Recycling customers are eligible for the following vouchers at no additional cost per year:
- Six (6) clean-up vouchers per year, per property. Maximum of 2,000 lbs. per voucher.
- Two (2) tire vouchers per year, per property. Maximum of eight (8) tires per voucher.
No cost for the Voucher program if all requirements are followed:
- You must be the current Utility bill payer. (i.e. your name is on the "water" bill). Utility Bill payers may authorize others to use vouchers on their behalf. See Authorization for more information.
- You must have a current proper ID that matches the address on your Utility Bill.
- Your load must be less than 2,000 lbs. Additional fees will apply if your load goes over the 2,000 lb. per voucher maximum.
- You can't have more then two (2) appliances, electronics or mattresses. (Includes: refrigerator, dishwasher, televisions, computers, mattresses, box springs, etc.) Additional fees will apply if you have more than two (2) allotted items per voucher.
- You called and requested the voucher; it was issued and sent to the South Transfer Station.
- The materials must be from the address listed on the voucher. Additional fees can be added to your Utility Bill if this program is abused.
No credit policy. Regardless of the weight of materials dropped off with your voucher, the voucher is considered used and there are no credits for unused weight. (Example: If your load is 1,000 lbs., you do not have that additional 1,000 lbs. for another day.)
The South Transfer Station is open to the public, for a fee. Requirements for cash customers include:
- Delivering only accepted materials
- Weigh in upon arrival
- Valid Driver's License or State issued ID. This must be left with the attendant while you drop off your load.
- Payment by cash or check only. All checks require matching ID.
- Weigh out after dropping materials off in appropriate locations.
How much does it cost to dispose of materials at the Transfer Station?
Cash customers (non-Solid Waste & Recycling customers), or customers who have used all their vouchers for the year may still deliver materials to the Transfer Station for a fee. Quantity allotments covered with a voucher, fees for delivering more than is covered by a voucher and fees for cash customers are as follows:
Voucher with Overage
Appliances, Electronics, Mattresses or Box Springs
Up to 2 per voucher
Construction & Demolition Debris
Up to 2,000 pounds per voucher
$41 per ton*
$76 per ton (minimum charge of $40 for up to 880 pounds)
$41 per ton*
$76 per ton (minimum charge of $40 for up to 1020 pounds)
Tire - Less than 17"
Up to eight (8) tires per tire voucher
Tires - 18" or more
Tires - Tractor Tires
*Combined Vouchers Fee: A $15 fee will be added to the Utility Bill to combine two or more vouchers. For example, a truckload weighing 4,300 pounds would require three vouchers to cover the weight. A total of $30 ($15 per each additional voucher) will be charged to combine vouchers for use in one load.
*Processing Fee to add extra fees to Utility Bill: A $10 processing fee will be added to the Utility Bill if the customer wants to place fees for extra debris ($41/ton) above the 2,000 pound voucher limit on the Utility Bill. You can avoid this processing fee by paying in cash or by check for the weight of the extra debris ($41/ton) above the 2,000 pound limit that is covered by a voucher.
Prices are subject to change.
Customer means any person who currently owns a property in Minneapolis, and currently is the Utility Bill payer. Being the owner of your property does not grant you rights to the vouchers unless you are paying and listed as the Utility Bill payer. If you are not the Utility Bill payer, See Authorization Forms.
The Voucher program is a special service to our customers and is included in your monthly fee. Abuse of this special service can result in additional costs to you, the taxpayer or Utility Bill payer.
Minneapolis Solid Waste & Recycling or the Management Company of the South Transfer Station has the right to refuse any load, at any time.
Last updated Dec 8, 2016