How to Prepare Yard Waste
Includes acorns, bark, garden plants, grass clippings, pine cones, pine needles, twigs, straw and hay.
- Bag in Kraft paper bags, compostable plastic bags, or place unbagged in a reusable container with handles.
- All bags must be 33 gallons in size, or less.
- All containers must be approximately 33 gallons in size, no less than 26 inches in height, and have sturdy handles (no buckets or pails).
- Each bag or container must weigh less than 40 pounds.
- Sod is accepted if the dirt is removed. Dirt is not collected by garbage or yard waste collection crews.
- State law prohibits disposing of yard waste with the garbage.
Includes pieces of brush and small branches that are less than 3 inches in diameter and less than 3 feet long.
- Bundle them securely with twine or rope. Do not use wire.
- Each bundle must be less than 3 feet long
- Each bundle must weigh less than 40 pounds.
Save Time and Money
Yard waste that is not properly prepared cannot be collected by your yard waste crew. If you take time to correct the problem, we will resume service on your next scheduled pickup day. If not you will be required to pay an additional fee for cleanup.
Other Helpful Yard Waste sites
For additional information relating to Eco-Yard, Composting, Landscaping, Lawn Care, Gardens, Plants, Soil, as well as a Seminar Schedule, call Hennepin County Environmental Services (612) 348-3777, or visit the Hennepin County website.
Compost Bin Distribution Events - Go to Green Guardian.
Last updated Mar. 15, 2013