Hired a national search firm
Public Sector Search & Consulting (PSSC) was hired to oversee and lead the process to hire a new Police Chief for the City. They're the only search firm in the U.S. to focus solely on recruiting police executives. They have a proven record of recruiting diverse candidates.
This firm is experienced in:
- Conducting national searches for police chiefs
- Engaging the community
- Partnering with stakeholders
- Creating a position profile
- Recruiting qualified candidates for consideration
- Vetting candidates
Formed a search committee
A search committee was formed to work to help with the process.
The search committee:
- Is made of community members with diverse backgrounds
- Will interview candidates vetted by PSSC
- Recommend candidates
Read the March 9th press release for more information
Public Sector Search & Consulting has met with:
- Internal stakeholders including Mayor Frey and City Council Members
- Developed a community engagement survey for their input
Read the March 6th press release for more information
Held community listening sessions
The community feedback, guidance, and perspective received was used in the creation of the position profile. It informed the entire search process for a new Police Chief. The community listening sessions were held in each of the City’s five police precincts between April 18th and May 3rd.
Created job profile and posted job opening
Public Sector Search & Consulting (PSSC):
- Conducted community stakeholder meetings
- Had a discussion with the Minneapolis Police Department Command staff
- Had a discussion with the Minneapolis Police labor representation
- Created position profile
- Posted an official job opening
- Began recruitment
Involved the search committee
The search committee:
- Analyzed community feedback data
- Created interview questions
- Reviewed all applications
- Interviewed initial candidates
- Interviewed final candidates
- Forwarded recommendations to the Mayor
Complete the hiring process
The process has concluded.
- Reviewed the list of recommended finalists by the search committee
- Interviewed selected finalists
- Has submitted the nomination of Brian O'Hara to the Minneapolis City Council to begin the confirmation on October 6.
- Review nomination
- Determine next steps
- Vote to approve the Mayor's police chief nominee, Brian O'Hara.
- City Council approved Brian O'Hara as Police Chief.
- Brian O'Hara started as Police Chief November 7, 2022.