Truth in Sale of Housing (TISH)
To ensure the quality of housing available in the City of Minneapolis, the Truth in Sale of Housing (TISH) evaluation is needed for any sale of a single-family house, duplex, townhouse, or first-time condo conversion. A full description of the process can be found on the Truth in Sale of Housing Overview.
If you are a licensed evaluator in the City of Minneapolis, please see our TISH Evaluator page.
Upcoming TISH Evaluator Exam
We are pleased to announce applications are now being accepted for the Truth in Sale of Housing Evaluator Exam. We have two dates for approved applicants to take the exam:
- Tuesday, October 22, 2019 from 1-3 p.m.
- Friday, October 25, 2019 from 9-11 a.m.
To qualify for the exam, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age or older
- Have taken 45 hours of housing related education, or have one (1) year of related housing inspection experience, or a combination.
- Have one or more of the following certifications:
- Minnesota State Building Official
- Minnesota State Building Official-Limited
- IRC Residential Combination Inspector
- IRC Residential Building Inspector
- IRC Property Maintenance and Housing Inspector
- ASHI-National Home Inspector
- If you currently have an active, valid TISH evaluator license with the City of St. Paul, you may use this in place of a certification. Please provide proof of your active evaluator license along with your application. We will not be reciprocating with any other City at this time.
You can find more information on qualifications and preparation recommendations in our TISH Evaluator Exam Informational sheet. Note: City of Minneapolis employees are not eligible for licensing as Minneapolis TISH Evaluators.
To apply for the exam, please fill out the Evaluator Exam Application and mail it in along with the $100 application fee. Checks should be made out to the Minneapolis Finance Department. Applications are due by no later then September 18, 2019. Any application postmarked after this date will not be accepted.
If you have any additional questions or need an application mailed to you, please contact us at [email protected] or at 612-673-5840.
Check Property Information First
Check Property Information to view Truth in Sale of Housing Reports, Certificates, and Repair/Replace checklists for your property. To better understand your Truth in Sale of Housing report, see our Buyer and Seller Information.
Schedule an Evaluation
An evaluation by a Minneapolis licensed evaluator needs to be completed within 3 days of offering the property for sale (by listing, advertising, for-sale sign, etc) and before it can be shown to prospective buyers.
Check out our List of TISH Evaluators to find a licensed Minneapolis evaluator.
Properties and Types of Sale Covered by the TISH Ordinance
Types of Properties that require a TISH report
- Single-family houses
- First-time condo conversions
Types of Sales that would trigger the TISH report requirement
- Sale by owner
- Sale by real estate agent
- Real estate agent-assisted sale
- Other title transfer
If any of the above types of properties are listed for sale in any manner matching the above types of sale list, a Truth in Sale of Housing (TISH) report is required prior to putting the property up for sale.
Common Repair and Replace Items
To see a general list of what an evaluator looks at during a Truth in Sale of Housing evaluation, check out our common repair and replace items. Please note, this is not a comprehensive list and evaluators will provide you with a report explaining what, if any, repairs need to be made.
When you have completed any repairs, a re-inspection is required to ensure the repair is done to code. For items requiring a permit, City inspectors will do all re-inspections. For repairs that do not require a permit, call a Truth-In-Housing evaluator for your re-inspection.
Contact Truth in Sale of Housing
Minneapolis Truth in Housing
Public Service Center
250 South 4th Street, Room 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 311 or 612-673-3000
Last updated Aug 27, 2019