Minneapolis 2010 Census Results
Welcome to the City of Minneapolis 2010 Census data results page, managed by the Community Planning and Economic Development Department [CPED]. This site includes a variety of tables and reports from the decennial 2010 Census, as well as links to historical trend data from previous decennial Censuses. Note: unlike previous decennial Censuses, the 2010 Census included only a limited number of questions focused on population, age, gender, race/ethnicity and some housing information. The detailed questions on economic, social, demographic and housing characteristics are now part of the annual American Community Survey.
Thus far, there have been two phases of 2010 Census data released for Minnesota:
The initial release in March 2011 consisted of only the redistricting portion of 2010 Census data, which included the following information at a Census block level:
- Total population
- 18+ population
- Race and Ethnicity
- Counts of occupied and vacant housing units.
Refer to the Redistricting Summary File – March 2011 for more information about the data release.
A second round of 2010 Census results, including age and gender detail, household and group quarters population, was released in July, 2011. See the Summary File 1 Tables – July 2011 for a full description of this release.
Also, see the Census Bureaus Product Release Schedule for full a schedule of the national Census data publication timeline.
Redistricting Summary File – March 2011
On March 16, 2011, the Census Bureau released the 2010 Census PL 94-171 Redistricting Data Summary File for Minnesota.
The redistricting file for Minneapolis consists of five detailed tables, provided below in Excel (.xls) format:
- Population by race, including six single race groups and 57 multiple race groups (63 total race categories) (xls)
- Hispanic or Latino population as well as the non-Hispanic or Latino population cross-tabulated by the 63 race categories (xls)
- Population by race, 18 years and over for the resident population of the United States (xls)
- Hispanic or Latino population as well as the non-Hispanic or Latino population, 18 years and over (xls)
- Minneapolis housing units and their occupancy status (xls)
The City of Minneapolis/Community Planning and Economic D has prepared the following summary tables of the Redistricting Data by ward, park commissioner district, neighborhood, community, and Census Block:
- Summary Data by Ward: table (xls) and map (pdf)
- Summary Data by Park Commissioner District: table (xls) and map (pdf)
- Summary Data by Neighborhood: table (xls) and maps (pdf)
- Summary Data by Community: table (xls) and map (pdf)
- Summary Data by Census Block, sorted by neighborhood: table (xls)
Summary File 1 Tables – July 2011
A second and more detailed phase of 2010 Census data was released on July 14, 2011. These Summary File 1 tables provide the most detailed counts available so far from the 2010 Census, including cross-tabulations of age, sex, households, families, relationship to householder, housing units, detailed race and Hispanic or Latino origin groups, and group quarters. The statistics are available for a variety of geographic areas, with most tables available down to the block or census tract level.
Summary File 1 provides new layers of detail about the topics covered in the 2010 Census and cross-tabulates many of these topics to provide a more nuanced picture. Beyond just providing counts of families, for example, the summary file also shows the number of families by type, by the age of the children present and by race and Hispanic origin of the householder.
Many of the tables are repeated for nine race and Hispanic or Latino origin groups: white alone, black or African-American alone, American Indian and Alaska Native alone, Asian alone, Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone, some other race, two or more races, Hispanic or Latino, and white alone not Hispanic or Latino.
The following tables and maps for Minneapolis have been prepared using the Summary File 1 data:
- Summary table of citywide population and housing characteristics for Census 2000 and Census 2010 (xls)
- Block Level Detail: Population and Race (xls)
- Block Level Detail: Hispanic or Latino Origin by Race (xls)
- Block Level Detail: Sex by Age (xls)
- Block Level Detail: Housing Characteristics (xls)
- Block Level Detail: Household Characteristics (xls)
Additional Tables and Maps
For questions about Minneapolis Census data, please email Thavisak Silaphet.
Last updated Sep 2, 2016