Community Planning & Economic Development
Business Profile: Wirth Co-Op
Although unhealthy food options are plentiful in North Minneapolis, finding fresh, healthy, and natural food in the area is much more difficult. In North Minneapolis, 67,000 residents live over one mile from a single supermarket, making it one of the largest federally-designated food deserts in the country. In an effort to fight the shortage of fresh food in the area, Wirth Co-Op will open in August 2017.
The future co-op will be located below the Commons at Penn Apartments, directly along bus line 19. Passionate about boosting local economy, Wirth will bring 20 new full- and part-time positions to the area. The City of Minneapolis department of Community Planning and Economic Development (CPED) has assisted the Wirth Co-Op through both financial and technical support. In addition to making healthy food more accessible, Wirth hopes to become a source of neighborhood strength and pride for North Minneapolis residents. To date, Wirth has already gained support from over 700 co-op members who are excited to shop for healthy foods at their new neighborhood co-op.In addition to the investments of over 700 co-op members and the City, project financing for the new store was provided by several local partners including Community Reinvestment Fund, Hennepin County, Latino Economic Development Center, McKnight Foundation, Shared Capital Cooperative, Sunrise Banks and Twin Cities LISC.
Latest News from CPED
- 1,700 STEP-UP Interns Start Their First Day of Work at Over 230 Local Companies and Nonprofits on Monday, 6/19/17 (pdf)
- 2017 Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Award Recipients Announced, 5/23/17 (pdf)
- Minneapolis City Council Approves New $1.5 Million Fund to Preserve Affordable Housing, 4/14/17 (pdf)
- Over 700 Twin Cities Metro Area Youth Expected to Attend 11th Annual Minneapolis Teen Job and Opportunity Fair on Saturday, April 22, 4/7/17 (pdf)
- Minneapolis Youth Employment Program STEP-UP to Provide Job Interview Experience to Over 1,700 Youth, 4/7/17 (pdf)
Last updated Jul 14, 2017