Temporary stage and platform construction shall comply with Section 410.4.1 of the Minnesota State Building Code. A building permit is required for any stage, elevated platform, walk-way, or seating area that includes a finished floor thirty inches or more above the lowest adjacent grade or floor.
Required documents for a stage permit:
1. Building Permit Application. Estimate your fees with our Fee Calculation Worksheet.
2. Plot plan showing boundaries of the property and location and dimensions of the stage on the property with location and distance to the nearest fire hydrant.
3. An electrical permit may also be required if electrical cords, lights or other equipment will be used in conjunction with the stage.
4. A statement from a Minneapolis registered architect or engineer stating that the structure is capable of withstanding a minimum 150 PSF live load.
5. The structure must provide a 42" high guardrail for public safety.
6. Stairs shall have risers not more than 7" high and treads no less than 11" wide and have handrails not less than 34" high and not more than 38" high located on both sides.
7. The width of the landings will not be less than the width of the stairways or ramps that they serve.
Accessibility, parking, seating, signage, ingress and egress for people with disabilities shall be in compliance with Chapter 1341 of the Minnesota State Building Code.
Fees: Please refer to the Directors Fee Schedule available on our website.
Contact Construction Code Services
For more information, email or call any of the following individuals for permit or code related information.
[email protected] / 612-673- 5880
[email protected] / 612-673-5253
[email protected] / 612-673-5832
[email protected] / 612-673-5821
Construction Code Services Office
Public Service Center
250 S. 4th Street, Suite 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: 612-673-3000 or 311
Additional Contact Information
View list of City of Minneapolis contacts
Last updated Oct 18, 2018