Fire Inspections Services
Fire Inspection Services' mission is to help reduce the negative impact from fire and other related emergencies through community education, focused hazard mitigation, and code enforcement. The division is charged with issuing key permits related to fire protection and prevention and performing plan review of new and rehabbed properties to ensure safety and adherence to the Minnesota State Fire Code.
In addition, Fire Inspection Services works in partnership with the Minneapolis Fire Department to ensure that commercial properties and high occupancy dwelling units (structures with 4 or more housing units) are safe and meet the requirements of the Minnesota State Fire Code and local building and/or Housing Maintenance Codes.
Finally, Fire Inspection Services conducts regular inspections and issues permits to business owners who have hazardous chemicals or materials stored on their property. This critical program helps ensure the safety of the City’s residents, visitors, and our own first responders (police, fire, EMS) when they are called to assist.
Fire Inspections Services Information:
- Fire Protection Permits
- Kitchen Hood Exhaust Cleaning Permit
- Special Events Permit / Operational Permit
- Tank Install / Removal / Abandon Permit (pdf)
- Hazardous Materials Permit Application (pdf) - Minneapolis Code of Ordinances, Chapter 174.20 requires every commercial building or structure that stores, uses, or handles hazardous materials to have an annual, renewable, hazardous materials permit.
- Hazardous Materials Permit Application (Google Docs) - Electronic reporting of Hazardous Materials Inventory
- Commercial Recycling Ordinance Overview
- Technical Policies
- Key Boxes for Bldg access
- Fire Vehicle Access Roads
- Escape Windows
- Window Security Bars
How to have a safe bonfire in Minneapolis
Here's what you need to know when having a small outdoor fire in Minneapolis.
Fire Safety at Home
Kitchen Fire Safety
Last updated Feb 11, 2016