Order for protection

If you are being abused, you may be able to file an order for protection.

Protection for victims of domestic abuse

Victims of domestic violence have the right to:

  • Ask the city or county attorney to file a criminal complaint against your abuser
  • Go to court and request an order for protection from domestic abuse

If you are a victim of a crime being prosecuted by the Minneapolis City Attorney's Office, our victim/witness specialist can help you with this process.

Learn more from Hennepin County Domestic Abuse Service Center 

Call 612-348-5073 to speak with someone at the Domestic Abuse Center

Gavel sitting on desk


You can apply for an Order of Protection against your abuser, if you are their:

  • Spouse or former spouse
  • Parent or child
  • Blood relative

You can also apply if you:

  • Are living with them now or lived with them in the past
  • Have or are expecting a child with them
  • Have a significant romantic or sexual relationship with them


Orders for Protection puts limits on your abuser's behavior. They may:

  • Stop your abuser from having any direct or indirect contact with you
  • Prevent future acts of domestic abuse
  • Limit your abuser's access to your home, work, school or daycare
  • Prohibit your abuser from contacting you in person or by phone, letters, social media, email or third parties
  • Establish custody of minor children.

Police can arrest abusers who violate the Order for Protection.

Contact us

Victim Services

City Attorney's Office




City Hall
350 Fifth St. S., Room 210
Minneapolis, MN 55415