In November 2021, Minneapolis voters approved an amendment to the City Charter to adopt an Executive Mayor - Legislative Council form of government.
- The amendment restructures our City government.
- The Mayor becomes the City's chief executive officer.
- The City Council becomes a legislative body.
- The new structure takes effect on Friday, December 3, 2021
- The Mayor becomes our City’s first “executive mayor.”
- The Executive Committee ceases to exist.
- All City departments report to the Mayor.
- The City Coordinator and other Charter Department heads become part of the Mayor’s Executive Team.
- Management departments continue to report to the City Coordinator.
- Mayor Frey and the new Council are sworn into office on January 3, 2022.